FZT-1 Classic Fuzztown review by Artec

Artec: FZT-1 Classic Fuzztown

Purchased from: ebay-new

I'm using a Parker nitefly HSS with a Epiphone 15w tube amp with only a volume control. When it first came out the box it sounded great. The white fuzz gives a very "Grainy/Ripping" type fuzz. The black fuzz gives more of a subtle standard fuzz tone - almost like a hendrix type sound. I also notice that the black fuzz sounds more compressed. When you blend the fuzzes you can achieve really unique tones. One thing I didn't like about the sound was that somtimes it got a bit trebly, I like having more of a bassy sound, but some people might like the treble(it wasn't too bad, I have now switched out the capictor for another for a more bassy sound, sounds great). There is a massive dynamic range, which I like, the harder you Pick the more fuzz the less harder you Pick the less fuzz. This pedal is no "weak" fuzz this thing can SCREAM. Even out of the box it had an amazing tone.

I play all types of rock, and metal(Pantera, hendrix, floyd, QOTSA, Slayer)and this pedal suits all my distortion needs. If it were stolen or lost i would definatly buy another, its cheap and great quality even when comaprd to high end american fuzzes. I loved the tone-variety and dynamic range of this pedal. I do sorta wish that this pedal came with a compression setting. Overall extremly great pedal, very versatile, durable and inexpensive. A great buy.

There is a Solid Metal casing around this thing, very solid and I would gig with out a backup. It's solid as a rock. Just bring some extra batteries or buy an adapter, it's a bit of an energy sucker. I've had this pedal for 8-10 months now and I have had no problems what so ever. Constrution is very solid.

Has red on/off light, true bypass, analog circut, takes 1 nine volt battery. Comes with two types of fuzz- white and black- each with a level and gain contol. Came with a manual but the pedal is very simple too use so I never actually read it. Very easy to get a great fuzz tone out of it. You can get a single fuzz type out of the pedal by turning the other fuzz level down, or you can blend the fuzz by playing with the level and gain controls.

Stefan Rhei
    fuzz tone is best achieved with (germanium or silicon) transistors. The germanium ones vary in tone with temperature, sound is slightly smoother. I prefer the 'agression' and unfluctuating sound of sillicon fuzz (Hendrix 'Band of Gypsies' era)... Tubes would deter way too fast if you drive them hard enough for fuzz tone...