SE-EQ8 Graphic EQ Review

manufacturer: Artec date: 04/24/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Artec: SE-EQ8 Graphic EQ
The sound from this has helped me in achieving "the tone in my head". There are so many combinations where it could be used in conjunction with the amps eq.
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.5
 7.4
 6,621
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
SE-EQ8 Graphic EQ Reviewed by: metalgod47, on april 24, 2012

Purchased from: thomann.de

Ease of Use: The unit is fairly easy to use although it is a struggle if used in-font of the amp although it could be used like a Dunlop Q-Zone if done correctly however it has a much greater effect if used in the fx loop. Its a very simple lay out so there is no need for a manual, it's extremely straight forward. // 8

Sound: The sound from this has helped me in achieving "the tone in my head". I use this in the fx loop of my Randall RG75G3+ amp and my main guitar is my Washburn Dime Slime 333 which has been modified to house a Bill Lawrence pickup and a Seymour Duncan 59. I have used this to also get a Pantera sound, but it works different than you may think. This type of pedal makes you rethink how your amp tone controls would work best (e.g. I used to use amp settings of bass -4 mids -2 mids voicing on treble -10 but now I have turned down the treble to 6 other wise it overwhelms the speaker with too much treble) in terms of the actual sound quality its a great sound considering the price for the pedal. In terms of noise it doesn't add much noise to that of what my amp already makes but if you push the gain control on the pedal to full, you'd better use a noise gate. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the pedal long so I can't say much for how good the construction is in a live gig situation, although I am currently doing a engineering course and I've checked inside and all seems to be strong connects and its well made. I wouldn't take a back up to a gig, this pedal has a full Solid Metal construction and it would be in the fx loop so it wont be onstage as I'd live it on permanently. // 8

Overall Impression: I am a groove metal/thrash metal/power metal guitarist and this suits all styles very well, it can produce a tone very close to Dime's (if used correctly with the amp), it can produce harsh thrash tones (like the ones from "...And Justice For All" and "Master Of Puppets"), but it can also be a very musical at the same time as it has a large amount of tonal options and there are so many combinations where it could be used in conjunction with the amps eq. One part I very much enjoyed is that it made me rethink me tone and I had to bring basic mathematics when setting up my tone in order to avoid overloading my amps speaker (when this happens its sounds like the sound is clipping horribly) the only thing I would say against it is that for an 8 band eq it only goes up to 5K Hz, a Boss 7 band eq goes higher than that. I would rather it went up to 7 or 8 K hz (to be it makes more sense). If the product was stolen I wouldn't go hunt down the person, I would be mad but there so cheap I could just keep buying them. There is one problem that may occure with this product, the battery clip can cause a short circuit as it can touch the electronics but it is possible to just wedge it in the battery compartment or you can just tape it in place. Another thing to note that it goes through batteries very quickly. So I would invest in a power supply, but as I have one I can't say these things apply to me. So for me in my experience I'll give it a 9 as its not the best of the best but for its price its better than you'd expect. // 9

Comments