TO30 review by Ashton

Ashton: TO30

Purchased from: Academy of Sound

I was very impressed. I own various pedals that I play through my Fender Mustang IV (using Epiphone LP Studio) like an Ibanez TS9, Boss DS1, Boss SD1, some compressors, EQ pedals, GarageTone Overdrive, Son Of Hyde etc. I thought for 21 pounds I'd take a chance. It gives a very tube like sound - very different (and better) than a TS9. It warms to signal and with the levels at 12 a round, fat smooth tube sound. I have never heard a pedal make a SS amp sound more like one of my old tube amps. I use is with the Drive backed off to 9 O'Clock and the tone at 2 O'Clock, to get that tube sound, then I use an Overdrive pedal for lead on top of it. I am very impressed by this ugly Orange box. I may re-house it one day.

I play blues and rock, no metal, and this is great for getting a certain sound. I would order a new one immediately if it broke or was lost. It has transformed my SS Mustang and does more for the tone than any of the pre-sets can. I always run it on a clean channel. I have a friend who has built a DS1 into his guitar, and I may ask him to build this pedal into my LP - just the circuitry and knobs with an extra input and selector switch - its much cheaper than buying and maintaining a quality tube amp.

I've had it a week - it seems solid. I can't add much more here as the unit is too new for me to have had any problems with it. It is made from metal, shaped like a foot. It is orange. The box looks like it is from the 1980s. That is all I can think of for now.

Very easy to use - like any three knob guitar effects pedal. The tone knob works well, better than two knobs for tone on this pedal I think as I just use it to get a tube sound. The manual is good - some sample settings, useful information about where to place pedals between guitar and the amp. Very good.

GS LEAD 5
    rv_phoenix wrote: Straight 10s for almost everything - except for reliability (but the reviewer admits having the pedal for only one week) - are utterly irrelevant for such a cheap pedal. Especially when driven through a rubbish SS+modelling amp. Given the ratings of other Ashton products, I very much doubt it can stand against a good distortion pedal, like a Vox Brit Boost, Seymour Duncan Lava Box or Fulltone OD.
    The Mustang is far from being a rubbish amp.
    rv_phoenix
    pato15
    my very first electric guitar was an ashtion - i had to return it and exchange it for a squire strat because the neck fell off! ashton is just a cheap australian company who make cheap affordable entry-level stuff. its never going to be all tens