TO30 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 11/04/2011 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Ashton: TO30
Very easy to use - like any three knob guitar effects pedal. I play blues and rock, no metal, and this is great for getting a certain sound.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.5
 2.4
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
TO30 Reviewed by: JohnSkyward, on november 04, 2011

Purchased from: Academy of Sound

Ease of Use: Very easy to use - like any three knob guitar effects pedal. The tone knob works well, better than two knobs for tone on this pedal I think as I just use it to get a tube sound. The manual is good - some sample settings, useful information about where to place pedals between guitar and the amp. Very good. // 10

Sound: I was very impressed. I own various pedals that I play through my Fender Mustang IV (using Epiphone LP Studio) like an Ibanez TS9, Boss DS1, Boss SD1, some compressors, EQ pedals, GarageTone Overdrive, Son Of Hyde etc. I thought for 21 pounds I'd take a chance. It gives a very tube like sound - very different (and better) than a TS9. It warms to signal and with the levels at 12 a round, fat smooth tube sound. I have never heard a pedal make a SS amp sound more like one of my old tube amps. I use is with the Drive backed off to 9 O'Clock and the tone at 2 O'Clock, to get that tube sound, then I use an Overdrive pedal for lead on top of it. I am very impressed by this ugly Orange box. I may re-house it one day. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had it a week - it seems solid. I can't add much more here as the unit is too new for me to have had any problems with it. It is made from metal, shaped like a foot. It is orange. The box looks like it is from the 1980s. That is all I can think of for now. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues and rock, no metal, and this is great for getting a certain sound. I would order a new one immediately if it broke or was lost. It has transformed my SS Mustang and does more for the tone than any of the pre-sets can. I always run it on a clean channel. I have a friend who has built a DS1 into his guitar, and I may ask him to build this pedal into my LP - just the circuitry and knobs with an extra input and selector switch - its much cheaper than buying and maintaining a quality tube amp. // 10

Comments