Eleven Rack review by Avid/DigiDesign

Avid/DigiDesign: Eleven Rack

Purchased from: ebay

For clean to rock tones Eleven Rack is the best buy for your Dollar very high standard of tones with solid hardware, but if you after a Angry Metal beast you will have to buy another pedal or shop else where editing and learning how to operate is easy specially since you can connect to a computer and edit it there as well Avid do make good software. The midi foot switch system is super easy, just plug-in my Line 6 X3 Live or ADA midi controller and it all just works Volume and Wah work perfectly, and when I want X3 Live tones I just turn the Effect loop on I can't think of a easier workflow. I really can't imagine as easier system to uses.

Even tho the Eleven rack has a wide range of sounds but I would not say it's suited to Heavy Metal for the money you could by something far more focused on that Heavy Angry Distortion type sound or you may need to invest in a pedal as well, for me I have a Line 6 pod X3 live in the effect loop which also works as a Footswitch and gives me 5150 and Diezel sound for metal when needed. When I need the 5150 and Diezel tones I only use the amps from the X3 Live and uses the speaker sim from the eleven rack there far more real.

If you want good tones that are a little less angry then the 5150 and Diezel level this is a great unit. The Marshall JCM 800 Next to my JCM 800 is a pretty good match, the Mesa is better then my X3 Live pretty much all the clean tones on the Eleven Rack are better then my X3 Live. The clean tones are what really shines on the Eleven Rack all very good warm and it's great being able to have dozens of great vintage amp to uses as you wish, as for Overdrive and Effect pedals the Eleven Rack is limited you have most things covered in effects but your differently not spoiled for choice but all are at a high standard of quality for sure.

overall the sound it's full of warmth, nice tube, overtones and It is prefect for everything but the heaviest metal as a amp simulation is extremely good, I have tried AxeFX and it is maybe better but at 3 times the cost of this unit it should be. I give a 7 since sound option are limited and only been one expansion pack has been released. Shame I've sure this unit has a lot more to offer.

I've had mine for 2 years gigged & moving all the time in a solid rack case and I have never had a problem all the design and layout is great easy to uses and well built and designed.

I have my Eleven Rack in front of a Carvin 1000 watt power amp and 1 or 2 Marshall Quad boxes (depending on the gig). I play in a Metal band and a blues/jazz band. Also used to use it as my audio interface for Avid Pro Tools 10 & 11 but since 11 Avid took away some of the coolest features Eleven Rack had with Pro Tools 11 and 12 =(.. So a few months back I change my Pro Tools interface to a Scarlett 6i6 to make moving my rig easier and simpler. As an audio interface the eleven rack is works well no negative comments there, the software and workflow is easy but previously in Pro Tools 10 would save ALL settings used to record the track very handy but in 11 that was lost feature/workflow it's a shame. BUT eleven rack works just like every other USB audio interface.

I would differently buy another one if I lost this one I have had many effect units over years from a DigiTech RP10, ADA MP1, DigiTech Studio Tube, Line 6 Pod, etc etc.

panman79
    I've owned 2 eleven racks. Both have had the same issues. You have to get the expansion pack for the 11r to be worth a shit. The drivers lately for Mac suck! I tried using an AMD based pc (which I know 11r doesn't play as well with) and had some different buggy driver issues. I fixed the problem by buying a new audio interface and just using the 11r as a preamp. Avid made a great preamp but they obviously didn't set aside any money for support. The customer is expected to foot the bill for any questions related to getting the until to work correctly.