FX-RAP-5 review by AXL

AXL: FX-RAP-5

Purchased from: local shop

My setup is pretty decent, A peavy classic 30, a custom strat, a Godin Freeway Classic, and a musicyo Kramer Vanguard, nothing exceptional, but pretty good. the pedal isn't noisy at all, on any settings, although if you screw with the analog delay knobs while playing, you can get some psychadelic (actually pretty musical) noises out of it. Effects always sound great, and I can come close to the sounds of many of my favorite artists (lots of artists, from Guns N' Roses and Van Halen, to Metal bands, shredders of all sorts, and everything in between) It just produces great tone for any application I put it to. I think all the effects are very good. I think the delay could have a little more control (timing wise) but it's good nontheless for what it does. I am very impressed with this pedal.

I play almost everything. From the blues to rock and metal, shred, and anything else I feel like playing. I plan to move into jazz, jazz fusion, and other styles too in the future. I've been playing for about a year now, but I practice nonstop (12+hours a day wherever possible, if there's no school, I can easily reach 15 to 18 hours of practice in one day) so I'm starting to get pretty decent already. As far as gear goes, aside from what I mentioned I have a Danelectro Fab Metal (crappy pedal), and a Dano Fab Tone I borrowed (decent for a digital distortion pedal). I'm getting a crybaby 535Q soon too. there's nothing I wished I asked, It was sitting in the shop for awhile, and I basically Live in that music shop, so I screwed around with it a great deal. Even though my amp is a good, all-tube amp, in the shop, it was hooked up to a 65 Watt Solid state keyboard amp, and it still gave the thing impressive, professional sounding tone. I think it will sound good with any amp (except maybe modeling amps that don't react well to pedals, but that's another story). If it were stolen, I'd probably buy it again. it's a modestly priced, great pedal. There are no fluff effects that don't really find use in your music, and it's all analog, so there is great tone/quality. This is very unlike other multi-effect pedals. For the price, you can easily spend the extra $70-$100 on a good wah/volume pedal and your set.

It seems dependable and pretty rugged. Nice metal case, and a carrying case to bring it with you. Although it must be plugged into an outlet, no batteries. Nothing seems to weak about it to me, a very good pedal, and a great deal considering what similar pedals from big brands cost. I gave it a 7, but I'd still gig with it without backup (and I plan to many times in the future).

Very easy to get good sounds from the distortion and tube overdrive, you can get all sorts of distortion and overdrive tones, from classic rock to metal and shred, your covered with this pedal. The chorus and analog delay are great too, although they may be a bit harder to configure. The EQ knobs are pretty self explanitory, and the manual is pretty good and has some good presets to use for the eq in the back pages.

qotsa1998
    how much was this?? if i can find it somewhere, i wanna check it out. looks good for a multi-fx.
    spiroth10
    I got one at my local shop for $125 (I'm friends with the owner and got a large discount) but anyway, they list for like $235, and most online shops are selling them for around $175. check out the axl site for more info -- http://www.axlguitars.com/index.php?id=1... I saw it for sale several places online. I like it because it is a no bullshit multi-effect pedal -- its got good, useful, analog effects, and nothing crazy, so its not nearly as complicated or pricey as the all digital offerings of other companies.