DD-80 Digital Delay Review

4.8
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
DD-80 Digital Delay Reviewed by: wylde_overdrive, on september 24, 2007

Ease of Use: Once put together, there is absolutely no difficulty to getting a great sound out of this pedal. Putting it together might be a bit overwhelming to a beginner, but if you take your time and work carefully, it should be a breeze. The instructions on the byoc site are very clear and the message board offers great help beyond the instructions. // 10

Sound: I'm using this as follows: guitar > 535Q Wah > DigiTech Whammy > Boss DS-1 > Delay > amp. This pedal adds a slight hiss if put before the distortion, but after the distortion (or in the effects loop) it's absolutely silent. All of the settings sound very warm and full, thanks to the hi end roll-off. The pedal may be digital, but it sounds much like an analog delay, like the Ibanez AD-9. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal comes with a metal enclosure, akin to many MXR pedals. It seems very sturdy and reliable. I would gig with this without a backup because the enclosure is bulletproof! The only time I can't see this not being dependable is if somebody did a really poor job on the electronics inside the pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: I play music like Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend Band, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Van Halen, etc. Mind you I don't use this pedal much for SYL stuff, but it does suit all of the other bands listed. If this were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy another! I love the sound I can get from the pedal, and the self oscillation has got to be my favourite feature. Before I got this, I compared it to the Boss DD-3 and found that I would much rather have this. The Boss DD-3's repeats were too perfect, where as this rolls off the high end. I gave this a 9 because some might have difficulty building the pedal. // 9

Comments