Overdrive 2 Review

1,535
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Overdrive 2 Reviewed by: FBXZ2, on december 17, 2010

Purchased from: Online

Ease of Use: The BYOC Overdrive 2 is a kit effect pedal with quality components. It is like a Swiss Army Kinfe of Tubescremers. It is very tweekable, many adjustments. The instructions for building and modifications are clear and easy to follow. This is not digital and has true bypass. In addition to the Overdrive and its mods, it has a boost component and the ability to mod it to MOSFET. // 10

Sound: The sound is as clear and quiet as any high end custom pedal on the market. I had this next to a Ibanez Tubescreamer 808 on my pedalboard, and you could not tell the difference between the two. I have since sold the TS808. The Boost with MOSFET circuit mods add a little sparkle to the cleans and when I kick in the OD, it can realy Drive any EL84 or 6V6 amp into Overdrive heaven. Great sound with clear thick sustain that can be phrased, not distored compressed clipping. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I built it myself, and it has regular full size carbon resistor, diodes, LEDs, and capacitors, with switchcraft jacks and Alpha pots in a metal case. No micro components here. 2 True bypass heavy duty switches. So it will last a long time. If something does fail, I can trouble shoot and repair it myself, because I got the assembly manual and the components are easy to identify. Plus, there is a fourm at BYOC with a lot of helpfull people. // 10

Overall Impression: I do the blues, rock, and acoustic. This BYOC Overdrive 2 is a great match for what I do. I've been playing for over 35 years and have owned and sold a lot of gear. This Overdrive 2 is so tweekable, I make it fit my different set ups. I compair it to a TS808 and a Keely modded 808 because that's what's in this pedal. // 10

Comments