Small Fry review by Barber

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Barber: Small Fry

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Local classifieds

It sounds great. I use it with a Strat or a Ibanez with not too high output humbuckers into a Peavey Classic 50. When I use it with the Ibanez I can get some great Dumble tones out of it, it's called a Dumble-in-a-box for a reason. But the sounds aren't limited to Dumble sounds. It's really a great versatile overdrive/distortion pedal. You can also run it up to 18v for some more headroom but I haven't tried that.

It's really a great pedal. Great versatility because of the 8 (!) controls. Had a Fulldrive II, TS9, Blues Driver and a MI Audio Crunchbox before this. They all went away, this one is to stay. It's great for rock and blues type of tones, I wouldn't use it for metal. If it got stolen, I don't think I would buy it again, but only because I like to try different things. If I can't find anything better I'd sure buy this again. It's a great pedal and a great price.

Haven't had any problems with it. It has a metal case and great quality components as expected from Barber. I have it for about 6 months right now, but I bought it second hand, don't really know how old it is. I'd definitely gig with it without a backup. It's solid and looks like it can stand some stomping.

The ease if use is decent. You have 5 controls up front; a Volume, Tone, Dynamics and Burn knob, and also a Switch which chooses between 3 different compression modes. When you open it up you have another 4 trimpots for Note shape, Bass, Midrange and Presence. The note shape allows you to adjust your sound from tight and focused to a big round Vintage tone. With all these controls it's not difficult to get a good sound from it, and it's very versatile. You can really finetune your sound. The manual that comes with it gives a couple of great presets you should really try out.

zaidsharifi
    I've wasted hundreds of dollars on OD pedals. This is the only one that truly brought my jcm 800 alive. It can do the marshall-in-a-box sound as well as the dumble sound. Also what must be mentioned is that this pedal is very very warm sounding (by warm, I dont mean bassy), so if you have a cold sounding amp, this is a definite must have