Small Fry Review

review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Small Fry Reviewed by: WtrPlyr, on march 25, 2010

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Local classifieds

Ease of Use: The ease if use is decent. You have 5 controls up front; a Volume, Tone, Dynamics and Burn knob, and also a Switch which chooses between 3 different compression modes. When you open it up you have another 4 trimpots for Note shape, Bass, Midrange and Presence. The note shape allows you to adjust your sound from tight and focused to a big round Vintage tone. With all these controls it's not difficult to get a good sound from it, and it's very versatile. You can really finetune your sound. The manual that comes with it gives a couple of great presets you should really try out. // 8

Sound: It sounds great. I use it with a Strat or a Ibanez with not too high output humbuckers into a Peavey Classic 50. When I use it with the Ibanez I can get some great Dumble tones out of it, it's called a Dumble-in-a-box for a reason. But the sounds aren't limited to Dumble sounds. It's really a great versatile overdrive/distortion pedal. You can also run it up to 18v for some more headroom but I haven't tried that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had any problems with it. It has a metal case and great quality components as expected from Barber. I have it for about 6 months right now, but I bought it second hand, don't really know how old it is. I'd definitely gig with it without a backup. It's solid and looks like it can stand some stomping. // 9

Overall Impression: It's really a great pedal. Great versatility because of the 8 (!) controls. Had a Fulldrive II, TS9, Blues Driver and a MI Audio Crunchbox before this. They all went away, this one is to stay. It's great for rock and blues type of tones, I wouldn't use it for metal. If it got stolen, I don't think I would buy it again, but only because I like to try different things. If I can't find anything better I'd sure buy this again. It's a great pedal and a great price. // 9

Comments