AM 64 review by BBE

BBE: AM 64

It sounded great for a little a little taste of overdrive. Once you add more gain it gets to sounding a bit meaner. It is not noisy at all. Please note that I don't think that this pedal is supposed to be run out front of a Vintage Marshall. I hooked it to a solid state head on the clean channel. The pedal then woke me up! Adds a great sounding distortion/overdrive to the clean channel. Very authentic sounding, not "Digital" sounding. Very impressed!

I am getting older now and have kind of settled into a Blues-Rock type thing. I have been playing about 25 years and am funny about trying new effects/tools... I plug into my Marshall w/ my Pauls and let it rip. Pretty straight forward. This pedal sound great to get a nice distortion out of a clean channel. I will continue to tinker with it enjoy it. The AM 64 will not replace my Boss SD-1, but I really think this pedal has its place with many tone freaks.

BBE has always built tough ass equipment in my opinion. The AM 64 is no exception. Yes, you could gig with this thing with no worries! The pedal has a bright ass blue light when you step on it. It will blind you but that's OK. This pedal straight up looks cool!

Saw a stack of the pedals on the sale shelf at GC. Picked up the box, opened it, and looked at the pedal. Love at first sight. I didn't need this pedal, it just looked cool and the price was too cheap to worry about it. Got it home and checked it out. It has three knobs: Level, Tone, and Gain. It is straight up easy. The knobs are very responsive. I plugged it into my 1978 Marshall JMP MKII. It sounded great for a little overdrive.

CrawlingHorror
    I have a DS-1 because it was cheap, but I recently got a Bad Monkey overdrive ($49) and have been using that as my main dirt box since then. I also recently ordered an MXR M78 distortion pedal ($79)and will get it this week. The trouble with the Boss unit is that the distortion is a bit shrill on the back side with a little gravel on the front end of the note while I wanted a little cleaner, fatter and less digital sounding tone. I auditioned a shitload of distortion boxes, including BBE stuff, and the M78 came out on top. I think it will be a good companion with the Monkey.