AM 64 review by BBE

BBE: AM 64

Purchased from: Local Guitar Center

I use this with a Fender HS "Hippie Blue" strat played through a, now bear with me, a Raven RG60. The noise factor is pretty much nill. I think my guitar actually causes more noise than the pedal does. The distortion is pretty rock solid for what I like. I play mostly punk, and several forms of alternative, from the lighter stuff like All-American Rejects, to pretty hardcore stuff like From First To Last, but I don't really get into any modern day metal. With that in mind, this pedal is NOT for modern, hi gain, rip out your organs death metal. I think it can cover almost anything else. The closest sound I get out of it is a 90's Green Day tone. It sounds exactly like "Basket Case" or "Brain Stew" with my Humbucker. Using my single coil, I actually get a very nice lead tone that's both mellow and clear. Overall it just sounds amazing. I'm only giving it a 9 because it doesn't have enough gain for the br00tz, even though it's called American METAL 64. Since I wanna go over the top with my distortion (I mean more than the originals use) I plan on getting a BBE Green Screamer to push it harder.

For punk rock from Green Day to the Unseen all the way up to From First To Last or Bullet For My Valentine, it delivers a great tone with lots of gain. This is actually my first distortion pedal I've bought for myself, but I've played many others, and this one has blown those away. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. The 50ish dollar pedals by Boss and DigiTech are bland and boring compared to this thing, and it's only 20 bucks. I just love the raw, buzzy distortion this thing gives. I think the best think about it is how authentic it sounds, it's just real, it isn't digital at all. Listen to "Basket Case" and pay attention to the guitar, that's the sound your getting out of it.

It seems really, REALLY solid. I feel like I could set it on the sidewalk and drop a cinder block on it. Very heavy for its size, but I've only had it a few months.

It's very easy to dial in your sound. All it takes is matching up the tone knob with your amp's EQ to sound well. Then, setting the level to where it doesn't jump lower or higher in bypass mode. It didn't come with a manual... Mine didn't even come with a box actually.