Free Fuzz review by BBE

BBE: Free Fuzz

Purchased from: Amazon

I use this pedal with a Hagstrom Super Swede and a Peavy Valveking 112 (there's a few mods on it). Like I said, It's a silicon version of a fuzzface, so you won't get perfect germanium tones, I prefer it cause then you don't sound like everyone else. The silicon also ads a hint more attack to your dynamics, and is more stable to temperature changes than germaium transistors (big plus), or so I've heard. This pedal has next to NO noise on 11 with humbucking pickups, and only intensifies 60 cycle a small amounts with single coils, but the hum isn't anything that can't dissapear with a tiny twist of your volume knob.

Great for just about anything you can find a use for, works well as a stand alone distortion or as a near boost. Good luck finding it for the price I paid though, I think they're like 130 bucks new, I got it used.

Outside is built like a tank, big stainless steel knobs and a huge 3dpt (true bypass) Switch which has a satisfying thunk rather than a weak "click" when you step on it. I've darn near destroyed the pcb with mods, and it still runs fine, so I'll give it a ten cause it survived my electronic noobness. Modding this pedal is really fun and easy. For example, I wired in a BMP tone control, a voltage drain, and an impeded internal feedback. The internal feedback is exactly the same thing as the STAB control on the Zvex Fuzz Factory, does some WEIRD stuff). Count the knobs, on mine: 1)Fuzz, 2) Volume, 3) Tone, 4) Voltage, 5) Impedance to internal feedback Zvex has: 1) Volume, 2) Gate, 3) Comp, 4) Drive, 5) Stab Is that a 5 for 5? oh why yes, I think so, I just have silicon transistors instead. His was, 279$ and mine was around 60$ with my mods, so I think I saved a little money. But yeah, It's a tank.

It's a fuzz, so you can't get too complex, I've heard people complain that this pedal (and fuzz in general) does not have a very versatile tonal palette, bland dynamics and attack, etc. etc. Problem is that fuzz wasn't designed to be used by nigel tufnel, so if you lay off on the knobs you'll find a lot of interesting textures in between with your pickup combinations and tone knobs. As with most fuzz, the tone sucks with an ac adaptor, so I installed a 5k pot as a voltage drain, I highly recommend doing this as the tones sound much more classic and smooth the lower your voltage gets. The roll-off on this pedal is great. With both knobs on 7 on the pedal, and my guitars volume halfway, it only acts as a clarity boost, with little to no fuzz present, but, the crazy over the top distortion is still available when needed with a twist of the wrist. Dirt simple, really versatile.

JereGuitar
    I got mine for like $30.00 at GC brand new with full warranty (awesome 5 year warranty). This thing is a gem. It's simple and has a very THICK fuzz. At the max this thing breaks up to the point where fuzz-haters would think it's broken. It brings a tear to fuzz-fanatics' eyes! It gets LOUD!