AM100 Acoustic Modeler Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 06/01/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: AM100 Acoustic Modeler
The AM100 is a compact effects pedal that accurately simulates an acoustic guitar on a standard electric guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 5.6
 4,263
reviews (7) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
AM100 Acoustic Modeler Reviewed by: nmendies, on april 17, 2006

Purchased from: Real Time Music

Ease of Use: With this pedal you have to spend some time working with the knobs to find the different acoustic sounds you want from it. When you have done this it becomes quite easy to work with, and takes a few seconds to set it up. The manual, as with most of the Behringer effects pedals, is only a sheet of paper, and to be honest I think it should have given more information, such as where to put the 9V battery (because of this I unscrewed the whole thing looking for where to put the battery, only to find out it is under the actual pedal). The locking system for the battery also needs about 5 different hands to unlock and lock again. The pedal has a switch to choose what type of Acoustic Guitar sound you want (standard, large, piezo pickup style or bright), and 3 knobs for level, enhance (highs) and resonance. At first the pedal is a pain in the neck, but after about a week of usage its easy to work with. // 7

Sound: Well I use this pedal with a copy Strat and a Behringer GM108 amp at the moment, but I have also used this guitar with a Les Paul, and I can say it works much better with single coil pickups rather than humbucking pickups. Also when it is in use, it makes a slight hissing noise, but it is very easy to ignore when playing with it. The sound when used is very similar to an acoustic guitar, but highs, even when the enhance knob is turned up full, just arent good enough. The bottom 4 strings sound great though, especially when the Resonance knob is turned up. I mainly use the pedal for songs which have an acoustic introduction, such as 'Chop Suey' by System Of A Down, or 'Floaty' by the Foo Fighters. When my guitar is tuned down 1/2 a step it is very easy for me to create the 'Unplugged in New York' Nirvana sound, and it also does 'Stairway to Heaven' brilliantly. I usually use the 'Piezo pickup' mode, with the 'Enhance' knob turned to full, and the 'Resonance' knob set at about halfway. Overally, it isn't a brilliant sound, but if you wanted the 'real' acoustic sound you would use an electro acoustic guitar. When the pedal is turned on it create a slight 'pop', which can be a nuisance when turning it on an off mid song, but for the price I cannot expect much anyway. // 8

Reliability & Durability: In a gig, I wouldn't depend on this pedal due to the fact that it is mainly plastic, and if I stomped on it it would probably break. If playing a gig, I would probably buy the Boss Acoustic Simulator due to the fact it is more 'solid' and obviously gives a better sound. But I can't moan about the quality as it only cost me about 20. // 5

Overall Impression: Well I play pretty much everything except heavy metal, pop rock and punk rock, and this product is excellent, as I have said before, for song introductions. It is also great for greating a nice blues sound when also linked to a distortion pedal. I only really bought this pedal as I couldn't at the time afford the Boss Acoustic Simulator, and my acoustic guitar was broken, and it is definitley no alternative for an acoustic guitar, but for gigs it is great as you dont need to carry around an acoustic guitar all the time. I have been playing acoustic for years now, but only electric since last October, and by using it, it has helped me break the barrier between acoustic and electric, and because of theat my skill on the electrig guitar has greatly increased since I bought this. If this pedal was lost, I'd probably save up for the Boss Acoustic Simulator to get a better sound, and also because I hate the colour of this too. An improvement to this pedal, I think, would be to change the colour of it, make it metal, make the knobs not so feeble and to find a way to stop the 'hissing' and 'popping' it makes. I also think that more effort could have been made to make the top two strings of the guitar audable through it. Overall, good enough for now. // 7

AM100 Acoustic Modeler Reviewed by: gigson111, on may 16, 2007

Purchased from: Steves Music

Ease of Use: This was fairly easy to get decsent sound out of. I just needed to mess around with the settings. There was no manual with examples in it so that disappointed me, but I just messed around with it. It is not the best sounding acoustic pedal, but it's good. The manual for it when I got it was all chinese so I have no idea what it was talking about. This has not been upgraded and if it an I'd like to know how because I did not know that pedals can be upgraded at all! So someone please tell me. // 8

Sound: I'm using this acoustic modeler with an ESP LTD AX-50 and it sound pretty good. It does not go too loud though, when I have it on I actually have to mess around with the volume on my amp to get it as loud as I would like it to be which was not very good about it. I can get the good acoustic sound for the song All These Things I Hate Reveolve On Me and that was one of the reasons I wanted to get this pedal, so that dissapointed me. But the pedal for some reason got really touchy after a while and I barely need to touch it now and it'll go on. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I'm not quite sure that I can depend on this pedal if I was playing a show. I would probably buy a diferent one to play and use that one as a backup. But before buying another pedal, I would take this pedal to a music store and ask the guy if he would suggest getting a different one. If he would say yeah then I'd go begging and then buy a new pedal. // 2

Overall Impression: I'm playing metal core and I don't think it matches for the acoustic songs. It does not have a very long life with a 9 volt so I need to have an ac adapter all the time. I would have asked before I bought this pedal if I would have known was does it have a long battery life? If this thing were stolen I would probably buy it again because it is very very cheap. But if I had like 200 for no reason then I would probably get a Boss one. You get what you pay for. // 6

AM100 Acoustic Modeler Reviewed by: ZigZag667, on october 20, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal has a relatively basic set of controls but like everything you have to tweak and play around with it for a long time before you get sound that sound nice and accurate. The manual was very brief as it really only says what each knob does and doesnt't give an idea of likeable presets to try out, it's easy enough to get the general idea of it though. // 7

Sound: I currently use the AM100 in conjunction with a Behringer DD100 and a Marshall JH-1 and it gives a soothing touch to the heavier music that I'm used to playing. The only problem with noise I've had is when the lead was playing up so there's no urgent worry about the noise from this pedal. The effects sound great around 80%-95% of the time but it's mainly which setting it is on which effects the sound quality the most. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't think I could depend on this pedal for anything major as it has not worked at random points in time for me. There is no way that I'd use this pedal in a gig without a backup pedal because I've had minor problems with these pedals not working before. I'd much rather have something from either Boss or Marshall but I need more money for that. // 3

Overall Impression: This is a great pedal to really muck around with and try to make new and interesting sounds, I've been playing for close to 2 years and I've never had so much fun with a pedal before, this thing can replicate a recognisable accoustic sound from your electric guitar and still sound nice. I only wish that it had maybe one or two more settings but then again beggars can't be choosers. // 8

AM100 Acoustic Modeler Reviewed by: mr.Krinkle, on february 08, 2010

Price paid: C$ 23

Purchased from: Axe Music

Ease of Use: The thing about this pedal is that you have to work hard to get a good tone, but not so much fiddling with the pedal, but rather with your guitar and amp. Most people forget how important your guitar settings are when using pedals... Lower your guitar volume pot to about 3 or 4, and use the neck pickup. // 8

Sound: I use this on 2 different guitars: a PRS 22 single cut and a Martin acoustic electric. This pedal when used with an electric is mainly for getting a great clean tone, which it does. I didn't purchase this expecting to emulate an acoustic guitar... no acoustic emulators do it perfectly. I tested this vs the Boss emulator and both are acceptable. When plugged into an acoustic electric though, it takes the native acoustic tone and enhances it. I would recommend this anyone looking at perfecting their live acoustic electric tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: People bitch because it is made of plastic... My car has plastic side panels, motor cycle helmets are made of plastic so obviously there is different grades of plastic. These WON'T break if you stomp on them! Obviously if your being a total dick to them, you can snap off the knobs... If you treat them well, they will last. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for about 15 years, and have used effects from Roland, Boss, DigiTech, Ibanez and Danelectro. These Behringer pedals are incredible for their value! People can be such snobs when it comes to guitar equipment, but a good guitar player can make any equipment sound great, remember that! This pedal manages to last weekly gigs, so don't listen to people who tell you they wont last. In my effect chain, this pedal is sitting happily with a crybaby, Boss DS-1, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Rat2, Boss DD-7, Danelectro 7 band EQ and it works great. If it was lost or stolen, I would buy another (hell, it's only 23 bucks). The only thing I wish they would change is the colour... poo brown isn't flattering :) // 9

AM100 Acoustic Modeler Reviewed by: AJ6stringsting, on june 01, 2015

Ease of Use: I had to go on line to see the pamphlet to understand it better. But the box was very very easy to work with and figure out. One has to really invest time to get some great sounds out of this box. I plan on using this on stage when I gig since I managed to be lucky in not get one that popped like many complained and since my signal lines are buffered with good power conditioning, I don't think that I'll encounter any sonic problems many associate this unit with. I may try the AM-100 on some of my 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars when I gig or record. // 8

Sound: I had to really "tweak" the knobs to get a decent sound out of this effects box, but I managed to get a good sound out of it. The switch modes features: Standard, Large, Piezo and Bright, for different tonality to get coming out of your speakers. As someone stated in one of the previous review, is true.

*There is a notable hiss when this pedal is switched on, I solved it by using the 9 volt power outlet from my VHT Valvulator I, problem solved.

*Getting the battery in or out can be a headache, but could be easily done.

*Many complained about a irritating popping sound when you stomp this unit on. Luckily, mine is pretty silent. Not bad for a little under $22.00 U.S. dollars. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I intend to use a RJM Music Mini Effects Gizmo and putting this in one of the loops with a Boss GE-7 band EQ, to get a convincing Acoustic tone. Some one can get something like an old DOD Gate/Loop and get rid of any of the popping issues I've read in other reviews here. I take care of my gear pretty well, even though it's made of plastic, it's going to be safe inside my effects pedal case. I'd rate this higher, but I have to give it a six, since I had to use other gear to make this sound as good as my old AC-2 Boss pedal. When I brought it home, I cleaned the pots, input/output jacks and the outer casing. I'm sure this effects pedal will last. // 6

Overall Impression: I play many forms of metal, blues, classic rock and guitar oriented instrumental music. When I was getting familiar with this pedal I was running it thru: S.D. Pickup Booster, a Boss GE-7 band EQ, VHT Valvulator I, DigiTech RP-12, DigiTech RP-1, another VHT Valvulator I to a rack full of BBE Sonic Maximizers, Hush Noise Reduction Units, two 32 Band EQ's with a Monster 2500 Power Conditioner unit. I played things like "Can't Kill Rock 'n' Roll," "Mother Earth / Revelation" and the Piezo and Bright mode did a good job. // 8

AM100 Acoustic Modeler Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 12, 2008

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The AM100 is an acoustic similation pedal from Behringer. This pedal is really straightforward and easy to use. It has 4 different modes to choose from: standard, large, piezo and bright. The other controls include: Level, Enhance, and Resonance. You can get a variety of sounds from this relatively inexpensive pedal. // 10

Sound: I've used this pedal with a few different Ibanez guitars, a Peavey Windsor and a Crate V18. The only time it's noisy is when you step on the pedal to activate/deactivate. it's a subtle pop, but if you're the only person playing it's fairly noticeable. Other than this, the sounds are very good from it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've used this pedal many times Live and without a backup. I only used it to spice up the clean sections of songs so I didn't use it a ton. I've had it for a couple years so it's been fairly durable and reliable. All Behringer pedals are made from plastic, but they are still fairly tough and I don't think it's a reason to avoid these pedals. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal mainly, but like I said I just use this to spice up clean sections when I play Live. I've been playing for a few years now and have owned a few other Behringer products and I personally don't mind them. All of mine have worked great for the price. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy another one, especially at this price. I compared this to the Boss pedal and they are very similar, except this one is about 1/3 of the price. // 9

AM100 Acoustic Modeler Reviewed by: fneeglert, on february 05, 2015

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: It was totally straightforward to use and is comparable in that respect to pretty much any other effects pedal going. You just plug your guitar in one side, come out the other side of it to the amp, and step on it when you want it to operate. Simple. So as far as how it operates there's no problem, it's just that I found it to add a lot of background hiss to the signal and found the various controls to be rather dull and basically useless. I play acoustic guitars as well as electric and basically you could do whatever the AM100 claims to do with a simple five band EQ, which I have often done on recordings to give an electric guitar an acoustic feel, which works very well if you know what you're doing. But the AM100 doesn't have the scope or the practicality of a simple EQ pedal. // 9

Sound: I already have a Behringer Acoustic ADI21 which is supposed to be an amp modeller and it has been a great bit of kit with many uses. However with the AM100 I was seriously disappointed. It's touted as a device to make an electric guitar sound somewhat acoustic but it fails miserably. I don't mind that it's plastic, you expect that from a cheaper make of pedal, but the moment I plugged it in there was unacceptable hiss in the signal. I found the controls to be fairly useless too. I tried it with three different guitars, all with different kind of pickups, and three different amps and it was clear that the AM100 just made a stupidly unacceptable level of background hiss when operated.

Also, I could get a better and quicker to dial in effect right at the amp by adjusting my tone and gain controls there than I could get out of the AM100. It just seems like a complication I can do without in a live setting. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Even though it's got a plastic body it would probably stand up reasonably well to live use. It's not like it's badly designed or anything. I've had plastic bodied pedals in the past that stood up to terrible abuse onstage so I wouldn't be too bothered by the ugly brown plastic body. It will do what it's designed to do so long as you don't get stupid with it. To be honest I can't remember having ever broken a plastic bodied effects pedal in normal use. If it aids in keeping the production cost down then I don't see a problem with the body of any effects unit being made of plastic as opposed to some monkey metal. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that it's a not very convincing trick for trying to get a more acoustic sound from an electric guitar, which to be fair is a fairly rubbish concept anyway. But I've never tried any other similar acoustic effects box so I thought it was worth a shot. It had the same background hiss when using either an adapter or battery. I couldn't really see much usefulness to the rather vague controls which each seemed to do nothing much like what their function was supposed to be apart from the "Level" knob which did in fact raise or lower the volume of the pedal, but also the volume of the background hiss as well. // 1

Comments