CS100 Compressor Sustainer review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Behringer: CS100 Compressor Sustainer

Purchased from: Luthier Guitar Singapore

I use a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus with a Seymour Duncan Jb SH-4 Bridge pickup, connected through a long line of pedals before connecting to my practise amp, which is a Washburn BD25R. This pedal, as I have noticed, affects my tone quite a bit. This pedal cuts out most of the bass, leaving the guitar tone slightly brighter and more ear piercing when driven. Also, when the Sustain knob is set beyond 12 o'clock, there is a loud hum coming from the amp, which can prove irritating. However, when paired up with an EQ pedal to fix the bass cutting problems, this pedal does colour my tone in the way that I like. The compression isn't that obvious but the sustain does improve quite a bit, which would be what I want.

I play a wide range of music from pop-rock to post-hardcore with my band for about a year and before this I was playing punk music with another band for roughly two years. Personally this pedal would be a good match as it doesn't really affect my guitar much but yet it enhances certain points in the tone which I'm looking for. Comparing this to my previous Boss Compressor/Sustainer which I loaned to my friend and have never seen it again, it would be a good match but this Behringer would be half the price of the Boss pedal. I read all the reviews about this pedal on other websites as this website had none and basically all the reviewers has negative comments about this due to the fragileness of the pedal as well as the fact that the pedal knobs are loose. If this pedal was stolen or lost I would buy it again because its so cheap, unless something better comes along the way then I would definitely let this go. The thing I love about this pedal is the amount of sustain it gives me and the fact that this pedal helped me shape my tone a little. However what I hate about this pedal is the fragileness of the pedal as well as the fact that this pedal cuts out my bass. Also, this pedal does give out a hum if a few of its knobs are turned too high. Finally, I wish this pedal would have true bypass, that would probably solve the humming problem. Also, I wish that this pedal was made out of metal, as well as the battery port being easier to access.

For gigs, I would put this somewhere on my pedalboard where its out of reach so that the fragile knobs do not accidentally get turned and leave this pedal, along with the EQ pedal, on the whole time. It helped me in my search for my guitar tone quite a lot, but some guitarist might not like this pedal as it does colour the tone a bit, in addition to cutting out a lot of the bass. I would use it in a gig as its a nice little pedal that doesn't really do much besides compress my notes and sustain it. I wouldn't really need to do with a backup as if it breaks, nothing much will happen. However, if this pedal got stolen I WOULD replace it because its generally cheaper compared to other brands like BOSS.

I'm from Singapore and I bought this recently at one shop for $65 as I needed a sustainer to hold the long notes in my solos and I also had free space in my pedalboard and decided this will be a good addition. This pedal is made up of plastic and my pedalboard has a number of plastic pedals already (Danelectro Fab Metal for example), the Behringer, like all my other plastic pedals, are able to handle some torture and they won't break that easily, unless you wear heavy boots and attempt to crush it with force. However, the adjustment knobs on this pedal looks like they're about to fall out and the Attack knob is exceptionally loose. The Battery compartment is similar to DigiTech pedals however, because it is made of plastic, it looks too fragile to be opened and once it IS opened, the plastic cover looks like it is going to break anytime, luckily I don't use batteries. Basically, the whole pedal looks fragile, but it is certainly durable to an extent. The manual for this pedal is a simple small piece of paper describing the warnings and the different parts of the pedal. Not much of use but its a generally simple pedal to use so not much instructions are needed. If I could, I would spend a little more to rehouse the pedal into a metal casing. Either that or buy a Boss Compressor/Sustainer.

Im_Broken
    distoare wrote: Behringer products suck all around. All one has to do is listen and you will hear this fact so go and prove it to yourselves.
    elitist.
    levaris
    I have this on my pedalboard and have to say, it work just way I need it to. I really don't need the sustain so I keep all most at zero, so it gives almost no humming at all. The compression works just fine and levels my playing well enough. Tone helps me to brighten my gtr sound a bit which is a thing i really like. And the level is allways turned up full cause it just boosts my distortion pedal to absolute awesomeness.
    seemeel
    metal4life34 wrote: tl;dr
    Heaven forbid someone would write a detailed review! Go home you troll.
    balta
    That review is like the same 2 paragraphs repeated many many times one after another. Other than that, and having myself some Behringer, I know exactly what you mean dude.
    fusionfreak
    i agree about the plastic casing and the loose knobs. actually i experimented building a rig consisting of behringers, danelectro fab pedals, daphon etc regardless of what i've read from reviews. somehow i find them useful and practical. for cs100 just set all the knobs a bit over 12'o clock. you can get a decent amount of sustain and compression w/o the feedback.
    distoare