CS100 Compressor Sustainer Review

4,584
reviews (2) pictures (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
CS100 Compressor Sustainer Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 10, 2010

Purchased from: Luthier Guitar Singapore

Ease of Use: I'm from Singapore and I bought this recently at one shop for $65 as I needed a sustainer to hold the long notes in my solos and I also had free space in my pedalboard and decided this will be a good addition. This pedal is made up of plastic and my pedalboard has a number of plastic pedals already (Danelectro Fab Metal for example), the Behringer, like all my other plastic pedals, are able to handle some torture and they won't break that easily, unless you wear heavy boots and attempt to crush it with force. However, the adjustment knobs on this pedal looks like they're about to fall out and the Attack knob is exceptionally loose. The Battery compartment is similar to DigiTech pedals however, because it is made of plastic, it looks too fragile to be opened and once it IS opened, the plastic cover looks like it is going to break anytime, luckily I don't use batteries. Basically, the whole pedal looks fragile, but it is certainly durable to an extent. The manual for this pedal is a simple small piece of paper describing the warnings and the different parts of the pedal. Not much of use but its a generally simple pedal to use so not much instructions are needed. If I could, I would spend a little more to rehouse the pedal into a metal casing. Either that or buy a Boss Compressor/Sustainer. // 6

Sound: I use a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus with a Seymour Duncan Jb SH-4 Bridge pickup, connected through a long line of pedals before connecting to my practise amp, which is a Washburn BD25R. This pedal, as I have noticed, affects my tone quite a bit. This pedal cuts out most of the bass, leaving the guitar tone slightly brighter and more ear piercing when driven. Also, when the Sustain knob is set beyond 12 o'clock, there is a loud hum coming from the amp, which can prove irritating. However, when paired up with an EQ pedal to fix the bass cutting problems, this pedal does colour my tone in the way that I like. The compression isn't that obvious but the sustain does improve quite a bit, which would be what I want. // 5

Reliability & Durability: For gigs, I would put this somewhere on my pedalboard where its out of reach so that the fragile knobs do not accidentally get turned and leave this pedal, along with the EQ pedal, on the whole time. It helped me in my search for my guitar tone quite a lot, but some guitarist might not like this pedal as it does colour the tone a bit, in addition to cutting out a lot of the bass. I would use it in a gig as its a nice little pedal that doesn't really do much besides compress my notes and sustain it. I wouldn't really need to do with a backup as if it breaks, nothing much will happen. However, if this pedal got stolen I WOULD replace it because its generally cheaper compared to other brands like BOSS. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a wide range of music from pop-rock to post-hardcore with my band for about a year and before this I was playing punk music with another band for roughly two years. Personally this pedal would be a good match as it doesn't really affect my guitar much but yet it enhances certain points in the tone which I'm looking for. Comparing this to my previous Boss Compressor/Sustainer which I loaned to my friend and have never seen it again, it would be a good match but this Behringer would be half the price of the Boss pedal. I read all the reviews about this pedal on other websites as this website had none and basically all the reviewers has negative comments about this due to the fragileness of the pedal as well as the fact that the pedal knobs are loose. If this pedal was stolen or lost I would buy it again because its so cheap, unless something better comes along the way then I would definitely let this go. The thing I love about this pedal is the amount of sustain it gives me and the fact that this pedal helped me shape my tone a little. However what I hate about this pedal is the fragileness of the pedal as well as the fact that this pedal cuts out my bass. Also, this pedal does give out a hum if a few of its knobs are turned too high. Finally, I wish this pedal would have true bypass, that would probably solve the humming problem. Also, I wish that this pedal was made out of metal, as well as the battery port being easier to access. // 6

CS100 Compressor Sustainer Reviewed by: Shagmaster, on may 20, 2016

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Easy to use; impossible to coax anything resembling decent, transparent sound out of, despite intense tweaking. Noise is a constant issue, and eventually the thing just blew, giving out an evil hiss over which you could only control the volume of, and definitely not anything resembling what a compressor is supposed to do in terms of smoothing dynamics and adding sustain. Spoiler alert: I replaced this piece of crap with a $35 Joyo compressor that kicks the shit out of most units in the $100-200 range. Should have gone that direction in the first place. // 3

Sound: I play everything from metal to acoustic/electric worship music, and have to say that this unit did more damage than good in terms of how it affected my sound. Used through a variety of amps (Vox AC30, various Fender tube amps, a variety of acoustic amps, and direct to board). Noisy throughout a wide range of settings, ultimately blowing after a couple of months. unit was noisy from the git-go, and just got worse over a relatively brief period of time, ultimately crashing. The net effect of this box was that it added noise, absent of any leveling of dynamics or increased sustain. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Plastic housing with weak internal components, manufactured in China. Doesn't give much confidence in terms of durability/road worthiness. The plastic outer shell seems as though it would be relatively durable, but the inner configuration (which must be accessed frequently to change out batteries) consists of puny plastic pushpads and a cheap spring. Build quality is also lacking, as most of the screws were quite loose, albeit easily tightened. Obviously quality controls were not in place or were severely lacking. // 3

Overall Impression: I've been a band and session player for 30+ years and have owned or used just about every popular electric and acoustic electric guitar out there, currently using a pair of American Standard Strats, a PRS, an Ibanez AE 6 and 12 string, an Ovation Balladeer, Vox AC30 and VT120 amps, Behringer ACX1000 acoustic amp and a pedalboard loaded with an interchangeable variety of f/x. I got the Behringer compressor on the recommendation of an otherwise knowledgeable friend who really screwed the pooch on this one! // 3

Comments