DM100 Distortion Modeler Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 08/10/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: DM100 Distortion Modeler
For absolutely noise-free operation, a first-class electronic On/Off switch is integrated. Crank up some hard-edged distortion without sacrificing the subtleties of your playing.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 5,634
reviews (6) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
DM100 Distortion Modeler Reviewed by: les_paul_01, on may 02, 2006

Purchased from: Music City Sydney

Ease of Use: This is an extraordinarily simple pedal to use. Just plug your guitar into it, plug it into the amp and with a stomp you have access to a fairly good range of distortion effects. The manual is very short, outlining just the features of the unit. There are 3 dials (distortion, tone and level) and a 3-way switch which controls the type of model you are using. // 10

Sound: I'm just using it with my Fender Telecaster and Fender 75w amp. The pedal has three different distortion models, which are DS1, D+ and Rat. DS1 is a very trebly, very distorted model that when tweaked with a bit can make a great lead tone. D+ can delivery a surprising range of tones, from more mellow classic rock tones to 80s glam rock. Rat works both as a good Rhythm and Lead model, because it cuts through quite well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is solid enough, considering I only paid $40. as with most cheap things, I would exptect it to slowly deteriorate, eventually becoming worthless. The chassis is plastic, which is probably a main cause for it being so damn cheap. I would gig with it because my gigs only go for 20 minutes or so. however if I became slightly more professional I would just buy a Boss. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles, though mainly Rock and Harder Rock. This pedal suits those styles fine. This is my first distortion pedal, so I can't really compare it to anything else, all I can say is that this is very good value for $40 AUD. It is very simple to use and it produces a good variety of tones that would satisfy any rock guitarist. If I lost this or more likely broke it, I woudl probably upgrade to a Boss distortion or a multi-effects platform. // 9

DM100 Distortion Modeler Reviewed by: Indiemad, on january 06, 2009

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Ease of Use: This pedal is remarkably easy to use, the sound that you want is easy to get. the mode control is great as it alows you to chose different kinds of distortion which I found useful as it allows the retro style D+ sound to the fat gritty sound of the rat. the manual that comes with it has some quick start instructions (which are easy to use if you want to dive straight in) and it also comes with some more in depth instructions on other things ( like saftey etc.) // 9

Sound: I put my Squier Strat through the pedal then into a small Stagg amp. when I got the pedal I expected a 20 sound but I got a much better sound than that. I got a lot of noise from it although the DS1 setting seemed to feed back a lot. in all the effects that come out are always great and with a bit of fiddling around with different settings it's easy to get the sound you want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on this pedal although for the price I think I would think twice before playing on stage without a back up. you can depend on the pedal and it will never give you a bad sound but I would never be sure about the reliability of the pedal as the price was too good to be true. // 7

Overall Impression: I play Indie rock and my bands sound is that of using lots of effects and I think that this pedal is worthy for a Flash and the Space Munkys pedal board. the thing about this pedal that is great is the range of effects that come out and although there are better pedals at higher prices, this is great for the money that I payed. // 9

DM100 Distortion Modeler Reviewed by: Johnny Blade, on june 09, 2006

Purchased from: Buzz Music

Ease of Use: This pedal has three different distortions available: DS1, D+ & RAT. It is easy to use though A little switch at the left hand side to pick the style of distortion and then the three knobs distortion, tone and level. It dose come with a manual but this thing is easy enough to use. The only thing you may need it for is for changing the batteries. It is such a pain to do on this pedal. // 8

Sound: The DS1 sound isn't very good, it is way too noisy. It is a good metal kind of tone you can get from this but it is way to noisy. The D+ is probably the best option of the three it is a very bassey type distortion very satisfying. The RAT distortion ia also good. I found if you back off the distortion you can get very bluesy type tones from it. The DS1 is probably the best for soloing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is made of plastic so it could be easily broken but I look after my things so I think it will last. I wouldn't use this at a gig though, I have a Korg AX10G for that. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Black Sabbath so this dose suit that I guess. I have been playing for 6 years and to be honest I only bought this to try it out with a small amp and it worked well. I usually use a Laney GH50L & 4x12 cabinet. I used this with a Jade Storm 25 and it worked very well. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't buy it again though because I don't use distortion pedals with my Laney, just a treble booster. I would reccomend this though, I mean for 40 bucks you can't go wrong. // 8

DM100 Distortion Modeler Reviewed by: tomasdakid14, on june 12, 2006

Purchased from: Magdon Music

Ease of Use: Compared to other distortion pedals I've seen this one seems to be the easiest to use. I have used other distortion pedals such as Boss and DigiTech effects and I like this better then them two and it is quite a bit cheaper. The battery changing is not difficult but a pain. Theres three distortion modes (DS1, D+, RAT), a distortion knob, a tone knob, and a level knob. // 10

Sound: I using it with a Strat and a 15w amp and the DS1 and the RAT modes I love. The RAT mode I turn down the distortion and get a great blues sound that I use for solos, and the DS1 with higher distortion for rhythm. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is made from plastic that seems to be quite cheap feeling, so far it has been good to me and I use it when jamming with friends. I wouldn't rely on it for a gig I would have a backup but the backup probably would be another one of these pedals. // 7

Overall Impression: I play anything from classic rock like AC\DC to new rock like Taking Back Sunday. It sounds great for the AC\DC and sounds even better for the TBS. I been playing for a year and have seem to caught on quick. I wish I asked if I could use other power sources besides batteries and the Behringer Powercord 'cause it seems like I cant find a plug for it without ordering the Behringer one. If I lost this pedal I would definatly buy it again. It is only 20 dollars and is very good. // 10

DM100 Distortion Modeler Reviewed by: jimmyjimbo72, on december 28, 2006

Purchased from: It was a birthday present

Ease of Use: This pedal is absolutely easy to use, all you have to do is plug the guitar into it and then into the amp! There are 3 knobs; a distortion knob, a tone knob, and a level knob, which are gently placed, making it easy to change settings. There is also a 3-way selector switch in order to change between the 3 different patches (DS1, D+ and RAT). These features allow you to achieve many different sounds from the pedal. However, mine did not come with a manual, but I downloaded it from their website. // 8

Sound: I am using my DM100 with a Squier Stratocaster and a Fender 10-watt amp. Regardless of the small amp, this pedal still manages to pack a punch. The DS1 setting provides quite heavy yet flowing distortion, which is what the Foo Fighters may use for example. The D+ provides retro-styled distortion, which is excellent for playing Sunshine of your Love by Eric Clapton. Also, the RAT setting provides quite a heavy distortion, but is a hell of a lot smoother than the DS1 setting. this is good for playing stuff like Green Day, Rancid etc. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this pedal for a few days now, yet it seems very reliable. The only bad thing though is that the chassis is made out of plastic, meaning that it may break after a while, and makes it a big no for long gigs (short gigs may be OK). // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great value-for-money pedal. For 15, it's more or less a bargain! It's easy to produce many different gritty noises, but at the same time, it probably won't last long and it's pink (i hate pink)! However, I would certainly recommend it to anyone, regardless of them being a beginner or someone of extreme knowledge. If it was stolen, I would probably by this again, but I may also go for something else. // 8

DM100 Distortion Modeler Reviewed by: Van Guff, on august 10, 2011

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: I brought this pedal as my first ever pedal purchase. When I first got it, I didn't understand how to use it, but after reading the manual and googling a few questions, I found it incredibly easy to use. It's got 3 Modes (DS1, D+, RAT), a Distortion knob (Min-Max), a Tone knob (Low-High) And a Level knob (Min-Max). I only really use the DS1 setting, and vary the knobs. The manual is basic (1 small piece of paper) But it explains each setting with a very clear diagram. // 9

Sound: My setup was a Jackson JS32RT Dinky in Tobacco Sunburst, and an Ibanez RG370DX in White. My amp was a Roland Cube 30X, and is now a Blackstar HT-1. As I said before, I only really use the DS1 setting as for me, it gives the best distortion. If you're into just heavy metal, this is not the pedal for you. But if you are looking to use a heavy pedal, and then be able to Switch to a lower distortion at the flick of a pedal, this is a good pedal to start off with. I get my distortion though a DigiTech Death Metal Distortion Pedal, and when I need to cut the distortion, I stick this pedal on. If you just need a simple distortion pedal, then this is most certainly the pedal for you. It sounds very very good, but obviously with everything, there is something better. But I personally will always go and get one of these. The DS1 setting has a very good distortion with the DIST knob at max and the TONE knob set at 2 o'clock. I personally found that the D+ and RAT sounded pretty much the same, but to others they'd sound different. The pedal wasn't noisy when I wasn't playing, and the same when I was playing. I take a lot of inspiration from Guitarists such as Synyster Gates, Mick Thompson and Zakk Wylde, and this pedal won't get the sounds from them 100%, but it does sound very close! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal a lot! I've had it for about a year and a half, and it looks like it's just come out of the box. It's had it's fair share of attacks, and has stood up to them well. It's made from plastic, but don't let that put you off. Unless you're intending to jump around on stage like a monkey, this pedal is safe to use onstage. I would gig without a backup too! // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this pedal, is that it is a very very very good pedal as a distortion pedal for beginners, and a crucial part of the pedal chain to add a depth to the range of distortion for more experienced players. If this broke, I would go and buy another one because I am in love with this. I love that it's a mean distortion pedal, but hidden in a pink casing. Just because it's made by Behringer, don't be afraid to add it to your pedal chain. // 9

Comments