HB01 Hellbabe review by Behringer

Behringer: HB01 Hellbabe

The sound, of course the most important thing on effects, is pretty good. It is different from pedals like the crybaby, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's a bit more subtle, a bit less screaming, but gives a nice wah. The boost function is pretty cool, because it causes some clipping/overdrive when you boost your sound a lot. This gives you the possibility to play a clean song, some chords, and a calm solo, and as soon as you start using the wah, the guitar screams and bites a bit more. I combine this pedal with my distortion, and sometimes the delay function of my multi-fx stompbox, which also offers some cool sounds. The noise is really low (except when you use the boost, and kick the pedal down). This stompbox is pretty high tech, it doesn't contain a moving pot, but obtical technology, so the pedal would last longer. The wah stops when you pull your foot off it, but you can also turn this function off. You can even set a delay for stopping the wah. For example: you play with wah, you move your foot of it, and the wah remains on for 3 seconds. I never used it, but it is cool enough to mention.

I play guitar almost 8 years, and I play blues, classic rock, and some metal, and it does everything fine. Wah-wah is used in almost any style, so I can also recommend it to people Who play other sorts of music. What I love about it is the subtle sound, which is good for clean rythm stuff, and I like the versitality, the possibility to adjust your sound. I compared it to other "cheap" pedals, and this one was the really the best. It would also compete with high-end wahwah's. In some situations I wish it would have a bit more "screaming", but that's the only thing I'm missing.

It looks, feels, and is really sturdy. It's made out of metal, unlike the most Behringer stompboxes, and is built like a tank. Like I said, there are almost no moving parts.

This pedal contains a lot of knobs. You can adjust almost anything, and with the right settings, you can even use it for bass guitars. When you have it in your hands, it might be a bit confusing what every button does, but as soon as you start to play, and turn the knobs, you can easily hear what you are adjusting. So after 10 to 15 minutes of experimenting you have a lot more "wah-wah-knowledge". The manual that comes with it is just simple, like every Behringer manual. It tells you the names of the buttons/screws/LED's on te pedal, and tells in short what they do.

skateandrock_13
    the hellbabe isnt very good quality, but for the price its alright.....it doesnt give you a wah sound, more like a budda wah sound type-thing. but if you like the budda and dont wanna spend much on it, then totaly go for this pedal.
    Td_Nights
    Poxican wrote: Total Guitar in the UK are giving this away with subscriptions at the moment... Not sure if I should subscribe this month and get the Hell Babe for free, or maybe wait until next month and see what the free gift is then... Any thoughts?? Can someone explain to me why everyone talks about 'If it was stolen...' and so on in the reviews? It seems like such a weird, roundabout way of rating how good something is. Is it an UG injoke i don't get? Please explain!!
    They're just saying that given the scenario that it was indeed stolen, what they would do about it. If the absolutely love the item, odds are they'll buy it again or as many put it 'track down the theif and kill them'. If not, they probably wouldn't say that they'd be bothered to get another of the pedal or something.
    shadow__666
    I got this as a first wah for $80 New Zealand dollars. Sure it's no Vox or Crybaby, but for the price it's OK. I'd say its better value for money than my Boss PW-10 is.
    muzikman 404
    There is a site called studica.com and they sell alot of behringer effects very cheap. the hellbabe, along with a buncha other effects usually costing 50 or more, is $30 dollars on that site.