HB01 Hellbabe review by Behringer

Behringer: HB01 Hellbabe

Price paid: A$ 75

Purchased from: Belfield Music

The various buttons/functions are useful and work well. BUT, the q-button etc is a bit of a fiddle. If Behringer reads this, please make the buttons bigger and further apart. This is not a huge issue as most people will adjust it once and leave it. But I hate fiddling with fiddly knobs. It makes it harder to zero in on a particular frequency. The boost button is fine but I don't use it.

I like the sound. It is fairly neutral and doesn't add too much "wah" in the upper frequencies. For example, the Cry Baby is too aggressive for my taste whereas DigiTech sounds too sterile. I've tried Vox and others which are nice - but for the price, I decided to go for the Behringer Hellbabe.

I use a custom made guitar with a mahogany body, Wilkinson vibrato and DiMarzio PAF Pros installed. I run this through a Behringer GDI21 (distortion pedal), then a Zoom MS-50G (multi-effects) and then into the Hellbabe. This all goes into a Vox Valvetronix amp and a Behringer Bugera vintage quad box. It sounds like a Marshall stack on steroids but at much lower volume.

OK, it's plastic. But I've had thinner plastic wahs in the '80s that did a good job and never broke. The Behringer's plastic is probably twice as thick as what I used to have. Besides, it has a steel base. I'd be more concerned about the pivot mechanism and diode breaking. Since I've only had it a day, I honestly can't tell you about it's reliability long term. As I don't play live anymore, it'll be used for studio work.

I've been playing for 40 years. I play a mix of pop/rock/acid jazz. As noted above, I like the sound because it doesn't change the sound too much. It's fairly natural sounding. However, when the pedal kicks in, there is a slight increase in volume even without using the boost button. It's not a huge deal but should be mentioned. The pedal motion is good and the frequencies are evenly distributed.

Waspfactor
    well I just got mine and love it already,its built like a tank,and is so very tweakable.As a beginner wah(which im not!)its ideal at the price,in regards to the underside adjustment,you just need a small flathead screwdriver and a torch,see it screw it,tweak it.gr8 product