HM300 Heavy Metal review by Behringer

Behringer: HM300 Heavy Metal

Price paid: € 30

Purchased from: www.dampi.it

I'm running this effect through a Jackson DXMG Dinky and a crappy Behringer GM108, which is noisy itself, so when I use this pedal it sounds a little noisy even with little distortion. It sounds like a crossover between a distortion pedal and a fuzz pedal and it's got very nice grinding mid-high tones. In my opinion this pedal is very versatile in all the kinds of heavy music: hardcore punk, metal, hard rock... and is the best for old school heavy, thrash and even death metal. I bought this mainly to reproduce the sound that swedish Death Metal artist created in the early 90s with the use of the the Boss HM-2, and it sounded very similar when I placed it in my setup (to achieve this tone just turn all knobs on max and play with the gain/drive of your amp). In my opinion it'll be better with an high knob because sometimes, when you turn down your mids it eats the high tones. If I was the builder of this pedal, I will surely added more versatility to the dist knob, which it's difficult to use when trying to achieve low distortions which sounds sometimes cold and without sustain.

I play mostly old school Death Metal and some neoclassical malmsteen stuff with this pedal, and I'm happy with it even if I understand that is not the best distortion pedal around. I have been playing for 4 years and I tried various pedal, I own a Boss MT-2 and an RP70 DigiTech multi-fx. If I would lose it, I will buy it again for sure, it's just 30! One of the things I hate is the color of the pedal which looks like it was made for a girl. This pedal in my opinion is better than the most of the other Behringer pedals, and it's a good and economic substitute to the Boss HM-2 which is very hard to find and it costs a lot because Boss don't produces it anymore. Excellent quality/price.

This is a real problem, the pedal is mainly made of hard plastic materials, which aren't very durable. I would have a backup pedal when playing with this at a gig.

This pedal is the reproduction of the Vintage HM-2 Boss distortion pedal and it sounds pretty similar even if it doesn't looks exactly like the Boss heavy metal pedal, and in my opinion it can suit really well any heavy music style. There are four knobs on this effect, the level knob, the low knob(equivalent to color 1 on the Boss original), the mid knob(equivalent to color 2 on the Boss original), and the dist knob(which has the same problem of the HM-2 dist knob: from 3 to 8 the distorsion is the same)

ilovesyu
    I think i'd rather make my own of anything than buy anything behringer...
    guitar-noob=P
    I have a full Behringer PB600 pedal board with a Vox wha as the exception and then i bought a BOSS ME-25 Sorry but Boss Blows Behringer out of the water, but Benhringer were fairly decent first pedals so. I barely use my Behringer pedals as the Boss sounds so good but i still use the Vox wha, i thought id look up this pedal because i have the Benringer SM 400 (Super metal 400) and i agree with your review that they sound like a cross between Fuzz and a distortion.
    Simon Blackwing
    barden1069 wrote: Don't buy any more pedals until you get a new amp...
    I tried it with a 100w marshall and with a peavey bandit 112? too.
    ProgJazzMath
    These pedals are good if you are on an extremely low budget. Warning though, they will stop working on you randomly. I recommend just saving for a higher priced pedal from Boss.
    BrokenDstring
    ProgJazzMath
    BrokenDstring wrote: I think its funny how most people will bash Behringer to no end, but in reality they have never been able to get over their pedal-elitism to actually have owned a Behringer product. Behringer is really not much different than Boss or Digitech, they're just ugly and get a bad reputation.
    Dude, this pedal is one step above trash. I owned it a long, long time ago. It sounded mediocre, broke on me and all at once just quit working. They aren't built for abuse and don't last long. Just like any behringer product. All of their "Bugera" amps give similar problems.
    oldschoolthrash
    I got this pedal for 19 bucks off of ebay recently and I'm very happy with it. I got it for the Swedish death metal tone as well as it sounds cool. Even if the Boss is overall better, I'd much rather experiment with a 19 dollar one that sounds similar than spend over 45 on something that just sounds slightly better.
    Kikuta
    These things are so incredibly shit that it makes them the most brutal things ever.
    kobochok
    XD Yeah, I love that phrase, "These things are so incredibly shit that it makes them the most brutal things ever" =)
    Shreader96
    I reckon this is an awesome pedal. I can get a chruchy sound out of it that sounds great through my amp. However i will agree that the boss is better
    jack.norman.980
    i used this once, thought it was aweful so i tried to sell it but no one wanted it so i ended up just chucking it in the trash. if you want a good distortion pedal i recommend the EHX Metal Muff