NR300 Noise Reducer review by Behringer

Behringer: NR300 Noise Reducer

Purchased from: ZZsounds.com

I use this my Crate Flexwave amp and a multitude of guitars. As I stated before, I had problems setting it up but it was because I didn't put it in the right spot of my effects chain. The way I had it, it didn't reduce the humming, it reduced the initial tone I was getting from my distortion pedal. I set it up behind my distortion pedal and everything made sense then. You have to play around to get the noise reduced to a point where you don't lose tone (generally I have thresh at half and decay at max). Here's how I use it in my setup: Guitar -> Noise Reducer -> Distortion -> Amp You can't enhance your sound with this pedal, but you can bring it down if you don't set it up right.

I have been playing for 8 years and so far the only noise gates I've used are the ones in multi-fx pedals. This pedal, though may seem cheap, does better than those in the multi-fx pedals. I generally play metal and blues so this is really good when I want that really heavy distortion without the feedback, or a good tube Overdrive like SRV without the humming of the single coil pickups. I do wish they would at least send a little paper with at least a one sentence description of the pedal and it's options, but no complaining for the price. I love this pedal. There have been times when I would be auditioning for a metal group, and my amp would just feedback and make me sound like a Hendrix-wannabe noob. With this, I can trust that my sound will be under my control.

It is plastic, but it is reliable and seems quite sturdy. I'm not some crazy guitar monster that just throws his equipment like he has money, so I would depend on this and gig with it without a backup. However, I would not trust it with just batteries. I'd be afraid they wouldn't last the entire gig, so I'd only trust this with a power supply.

This is a very simple pedal to manipulate. It only has two dials, one for Thresh, and another for Decay. It also has two settings, Mute and Reduction. The difference between these two is that Mute is more like an off/on switch for your amp entirely, and reduction is used to reduce humming and feedback. I had a little trouble at first setting it up, but I got it right eventually. It takes batteries and I've read that they are hard to put in, so I bought me a wall adapter to fix that. The manual is pretty much all Chinese so you have to go on your gut with this one and just figure it out.

sewoo55
    MXR Smart gate, Boss NS-2 (decent enough) and ISP Decimator are good noise gate pedals too
    rv_phoenix
    If you only want to fill a gap in a pedalboard, I agree with you. If you actually want to play music, I'm afraid you're completely wrong. Behringers can't be used for music, in the same way a Tata Nano is not a car, although it has the basic specs of a car. If you're tight on cash, like me, you save three more months and get a decent - not a good! - Hush Pedal from Rocktron. You use it for an year, and you keep on saving for a more professional pedal or noise gate. In case you're a player, even an amateur one. But if you're not a player, why would you write reviews? What's the big knowledge you want to share with us? Behringers should be banned, period.
    rv_phoenix
    That's arguably the only noise reducer which produces noise, instead of getting rid of it. The alteration of your guitar's sound is just ridiculous. Truth is that, when you play it through a Crate Flexwave, one of the lousiest digital crap on Earth, you can't hear it. Behringer products should be banned, period.
    Kajinaga
    I find this pedal very useful actually. It smooths my single coils just like it's supposed to so that way I don't sound like a God-awful Jimi Hendrix impersonator. If you don't like it, that's your choice, but the only thing cheap about this pedal is the plastic.
    Daniels192
    Surely you're best putting the noisy pedals in the send and return loop supplied on the pedal. This reads your guitars clean signal when you're playing, applies the distortion while you're playing, then shuts the gate when you're not playing. The most accurate way to use it I think?
    quoisme
    It is nice to see someone comment with some sense. Most people seem to treat the two 1/4 inch jacks as stereo and just dismiss it whereas with these gates it has a certain order of operations for it...i.e. guitar-> in noise gate-> out send -> (wah, overdrive, flanger)-> back through noise gate return and out to delay -> then amp.
    Leon987
    rv_phoenix wrote: Behringer products should be banned, period.
    Thats not true, yes, there are far better pedals but if youre tight on cash, behringer is a good option.
    Skuzzmo
    The NR300 is a turd... and not even a polished one... terrible pedal that actually adds noise when you turn it on.... I can't express my disdain enough..... If you're think about getting one, don't. You're better off without one....
    Waspfactor
    I have behringer ultra metal,super fuzz,vintahe tube od.lots of high gain hum.stuck in the nr300 after these but before mod effects.noise problem solved.it works perfectly once its set up right.a working noise suppressor(its NOT a noise gate)for 20 quid?no brainer
    ewashbrook
    Surprised to hear your chain set up there Kajinaga. I'd suggest putting the NR300 after the distortion. Distortion pedals themselves often produce a lot of noise. As a rule, you always want you noise reduction pedal at the end of the chain.
    Shornifier
    Hey gotta give Behringer credit for their Xenyx mixers...their guitar stuff sucks ass but some of their stuff (isn't great) is compact and pretty awesome FOR THE PRICE.
    Flyingout
    The best thing to do is use an adapter, or "wall wart". Batteries themselves can cause hum as they decline in power, which is usually ten minutes after you put it in the pedal. Also, keep in mind that this is a cheap pedal. Usually you'll get a good one, sometimes, and more often, the cheaper you go it's a roll of the dice. Sometimes they'll come off the assembly line as junk. Keep you receipt! Lastly, a noise reducer, or gate should always go after your O.D.s and distortion and before your delay and reverb. You'll effect your delay/reverb decay if you use it afterwards. Guitar > o.d./dist. > noise gate > e.q. > modulation > delay > reverb. At least, that's how I have mine. Hope this helps.
    liwailun
    I just bought the NR300. I can't seem to get it to work. Can someone explain to me what is the best sequence /way to hook it up with my guitar, effects pedal and amp?
    timjackson142
    Don't know about the behringer pedals but I have a Behringer V-AMP Pro rack for both guitar and bass. I have to say that the amp modelling (to me) sounds alot better than the Line 6 floor pod plus or the Zoom B2 (which I also have). The effects seem nice and the presets are actually useable unlike the woefulness that comes out of line 6. I have alot of behringer gear particularly in the recording space and it all performs quite well. The displays aren't pretty but the sounds are OK and generally farely low on noise. I think ALOT of people get on the 'I hate behringer' bandwagon because it makes them seem like they can tell a good sound from a bad one. In my opinion a bad sound is one that I don't like but who's to say it's not a good sound for you.