OD100 Overdrive Distortion review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Behringer: OD100 Overdrive Distortion

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Of Melbourne

I have used the Behringer OD100 through several different axes and amps and I must say the distortion is amazing, however, the same cannot be said for the Overdrive side of things. The Overdrive lacks in tone and other sound quality and gives a deep "ugly" tone, don't get me wrong it still packs a punch but can fall second rate to even some other entry level Overdrive units. As I was saying, the Distortion really rocks the house or the stage or wherever the hell you are. With proper use of the mode control you can get a great great mixed effect. The level of volume is outstanding to say the least. At around the "4" mark the distorted/overdriven tone is the same as the clean sound from the amp and differs greatly, in volume, just raised one or two notches. Actually, although this isn't a tube effect, it seems to produce a better sond at higher volumes. The drive control is of great use, it can be used for playing blues, with slight Overdrive to metal, with a grindnig Distortion and everything set to the max. The tone varies widely, from a deep bassy sound to a high pitch squeal. Not the best I've had the pleasure of playing with but perfect for learning guitarists.

First off, you should know that I play all genres from classical to hard rock and metal and it suits all of those that need an crunchy effect. It is an essential for beginner guitarist this is because it is so, so cheap and boasts good quality, which has become a standard from the people at Behringer. When set to pure distortion it sounds do amazing it's just unbeliveable it comes from an entry level product. I love everything about this great unit except the Overdrive. If I need, and I do stress need, an overdriven sound I will switch to another product. I just cannot stand it. It has downgraded an otherwise great product. Compared to other, more expensive products it would give them a definite run for their money and I can't get over the fact that it's so cheap. That's definately the main reason I bought it. So have fun rockin' out with it. If you're anything like me I know you will enjoy.

Well, it hasn't failed on me yet. But I would never go on stage without a new battery (reguardless of how much you've used it prior to performance) or a connection to a DC output/connection. I find the battery runs out far to fastand depending on how hard you run it, it could run out of juice faster. This beauty is really heavy duty and has outlasted some of the other (and unfortunately more expensive) units I've used. So, all in all you can rely on it, just as long as you have a new battery or power.

The Behringer OD100 would have to be one of the best entry level effct units I've ever had the pleasure of working with. The unit works analog, it has four controls: level, tone, drive and mode. It is extremely easy to use and to find a good tone. This is rather easy to say seeing as it has incredible sound. The instruction booklet, however small, is easy to read and use. The booklet explais all of which you should need to know, other than what you Pick up naturally. The OD100 runs on a 9v battery or by a DC adapter set to a 9v setting. The battery holding bay is located beneath the easily removable "step" styled footswitch.

beggles
    dont get one from ebay if its gonna cost you 45.75, mine cost me 15 from a guitar shop, no shop would charge that much for a Behringer
    doze
    Yeah Im thinking of getting one. It sounds pretty rad. Im looking for a blink-182 all the way to a Stone Sour kinda tone. Maybe this thing will do it.
    liledman_76
    iv got 1 n 2day was the first battery change of playing low -ish volume for maybe i dunno a total of 40 hours... i think its a great pedal, but pure overdrive and pure distortion both are lacking in my opinion...maybe thats because i just dont like the sound of that mt-2ish distortion and according 2 shawry0007 the overdrive sucks ass so i dunno... but i have mine set to 3 parts od 1 part ds (quarter way round to the right) and it sounds great for all of the punk and rock that i play, if i play metal or hardcore i go for about half and half and it sounds good too im only 15 so i havnt tried every boss pedal or wateva so my opinion might seem stupid, but hey this type of unit appeals to those looking for an affordable pedal so that means not an oppening price of $150(AUS) for boss gear...
    MIK4YC
    I got one the other day. really good for the price. I paid $25 for it, even if it breaks i could get 5 or 6 more of these to make up for one boss. Distortion is nice, good for all types of music.