PH9 Phaser review by Behringer

Behringer: PH9 Phaser

Purchased from: Amazon.com

I use this pedal on many guitars through both a Bugera 333XL Head and a Behringer V-AMP Pro, and on both it sounds ace. It's very transparent aside from the effect, which I really like, and it's true bypass. My only complaint so far is that the footswitch is a little noisy at times, but I think that can be fixed with some pot and Switch cleaner, but it seems the noise goes away when playing so it does not bother me. I'll give it a 8 though, because it does it's job as a phase shifter, does not adversely affect my rig, but does have a noisy Switch, which takes off only one point because it's not affecting anything.

I bought this pedal sound unheard on Amazon when I got a gift certificate from my sister this past Christmas. Up until then, I had been playing in a band and wanting a phaser sound for some things, but just did not feel like forking out a pile of cash for something that is either 30 years old and of questionable wear, or for something with a bunch of dials I'll probably only use once or twice and leave set in the same spot. In particular, I was wanting a pedal capable of that Van-Halen mild swirl heard on the guitar solos, but I'm not spending $125 on someone else's pedal painted in red black and White Stripes, I'd rather just have a generic blue pedal that does the job and will look mine after years of being under my foot. As far as lost/stolen/whatevers, these are so cheap right now I could buy a new one every paycheck and have more replacements than would last me a lifetime. It's an excellent value for the money if you just want a simple phase shifter that does simple phaser things without breaking your bank account.

This thing is built like a tank. It may be the much maligned Behringer brand, but I don't give a crap what's on the box as long as it does the job and does it well, and always works, of which this pedal does. So kudos to Behringer for making an affordable piece of gear that's solidly built and reliable. I've been using this thing a ton since I got it around Christmas time 08', and it shows no signs of slowing down. I'll give it a 9, because NOTHING is a perfect 10, not even if this was a botique handmade MXR labeled pedal assembled by the Keebler Elves in the kingdom of Phase-shiftery!

This is a pretty meat and potatoes clone of an MXR Phase 90, weather it's a clone of the EVH or some other version I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet on the EVH version due to the "Swirl" Switch, which seems to smooth out the sound a little more. The rate knob and Swirl Switch are the only two controls, all the Swirl Switch does is a very very very minor reduction in presence of the effect as far as I can tell. You don't even need a manual, which is just a folded up piece of paper anyhow. And of course, being an Analog style pedal, there is no firmware. So this thing is maybe only second to a real Phase 90 in ease of use.

CodyGrant
    Decent pedal, I own it myself. The swirl switch does very little to change things, but that's w/e. Like you I'm in a band and need it for the odd song/section of a song, and this does exactly what I need. Turning the knob below halfway is almost too slow, and all the way up is way too fast in my opinion, but if you can find the right spot for it, it can conjure some great tones. Considering I got it for free, I have no complaints about it (and $30 isn't half bad either)
    BPF55555
    Woolyfuller, I'm not a kid. I've been paying for 20 years and have lots of pro gear. Yeah, the Behringer isn't the greatest phaser in the world, but it sounds just as good as the overrated MXR phase 9, and gets the job done. You should think before you write. You sound like an idiot wannabe. You're probably just a kid going through puberty. Try getting laid. That may help. See ya
    Luiz Vaz
    I Hate this pedal, very hiss, very poor sound. I dont recommend anyway.
    Woollyfuller
    BPF - I've been playing for nearly 30yrs!! I've had them all mate throughout the years. Behringer kit is one step away from junk, I brought this phaser as it was dirt cheap and I could throw it away if it was naff.. it was naff the cables even come out on their own!! I have seen other mates use their kit and it falls apart. Have some self respect and buy decent gear!
    Woollyfuller
    I brought this as a standalone phaser - it's rubbish. How people can give this a 9/10!! Ha Ha Ha!! It sounds naff is built of cheap parts and is not worth 5! Really wish I hadn't been a cheapskate and paid for something decent! Anyone rating this higher than 2-3 is obviously a kid and hasn't brought decent gear yet!