PH9 Phaser review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 3.8 Poor
Behringer: PH9 Phaser

Purchased from: Amazon

I used it mainly through a Mesa Boogie 2x12 and a modded Telecaster, I also use an old Ibanez RG and a random DeArmond and none seem to like it much. The sound it produces is where is falls over for me. The effect when on is barely heard, it does have the classic whooshy sound you would expect but it is too quiet, the swirl effect is slightly better but you cannot control the timing of it so it sounds out of place when jamming with drums. People compare it to the MXR, but the MXR is a better sounding pedal to my ears. Not great, but for 20 what would you expect.

I play mainly contemporary rock and metal, lots of riffs and solos. So this isn't the pedal for me. It is dirt cheap and I guess you can see why. I have stopped using it and have reverted to a Boss Phaser which has a lot more settings and you can't go wrong with Boss on reliability. The Behringer is waiting to go to someone starting out and that's where I think pedals like this have their market, young guitarists on tight budgets who want to experiment with effects. This is not a pedal for a serious gigging guitarist. My muso mates looked at it with a bit of distain no one is impressed, which is snobby I know but it is a Behringer and their reputation isn't great. Buy it if you want something as a stop gap or if you a starting out!

The casing is metal which is good for the price and similar to the MXR version, so I can't really complain about this. But it does have issues. Firstly and most shockingly the guitar cables seem to be able to push themselves out during use, Imagine half way through a set and your rig stops working and you have no idea why, this happened to me and was embarrassing to say the least, I had to wedge it between two other pedals on my board. The inputs don't have a click when the cables are pushed like on a quality pedal. Secondly the footswitch also lacks the click you feel on other similar pedals and the only way to know if it is on is via the LED, I know its a niggle but it is again another reason to question the build quality. To be fair I can see this lasting a while, but you can sense it has very cheap components inside so I would rely on it anymore.

Very easy to use pull out of the plastic wrapper and plug it in... A big grump for me was it failed to work in my effects loop, when I switched it on it killed the volume and tone so I had to put in the front chain and it worked ok next to my distortion / Overdrive pedals. This is odd as it is effectively a MOD pedal and should sit ok in the FX loop, so I was slightly irritated. Battery removal requires a screwdriver, but this is no different from most pedal styled this way. No Manual required, a knob and a switch to play with.

dpcrabe
    I have a block-logo MXR Phase 90 and an EHX Nano Small Stone. I prefer the Behringer because of the Swirl-Switch. You can get the subtle Script and modern tonez for cheaps. It's either that or spend $150 for the EVH model upon which this pedal is based. I'm glad Behringer went and cloned this one...
    Woollyfuller
    Javasan - Would you lot back off, just cause I have an opinion I'm slated.. Maybe the kid refrence was a bit far, but now you lot are boring me - so what its a crap pedal and you all know if I offered you a Boss or an MXR for free you'd have it instead of the Behringer.. I have left a review now so read it and know I am being fair instead of childish.