SF300 Super Fuzz review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Behringer: SF300 Super Fuzz

Price paid: £ 18.7

Purchased from: Blue Aran (website)

Well, it's a Behringer, and it's clearly a copy of Boss's Hyperfuzz pedal, what with the 2 options of fuzz. I am playing this with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, along with a crybaby wah, and finally through to a Vox Pathfinder 10, which one would assume is the typical sort of amp a person buying this pedal might have. The sound is hit and miss, I bought this as a cheap fuzz pedal as I like to play hendrix, cream, and general 60's style blues, so a fuzz pedal is nearly essential. I did not expect anyone could screw a pedal up so badly though. I've bought Behringer's tube Overdrive pedal as gifts in the past for others, as they are great, the sound they produce is fantastic, so I expected to get the same suprising quality out of this pedal. I was wrong. Fuzz 1, and Fuzz 2 are both usable, but it is a case of finding the right settings on the pedal and never touching them again. Forget about the gain knob, if that goes higher than 2, the sound is horrendous. Fuzz 1 is quite trebly, and gives a convincing single coil quack out of a humbucker, which is very very surprising, and fuzz 2 is a bit muddier, and has a real ballsy sound which isn't bad either. The frustration comes in that both sounds are limited, there are all these knobs on the pedal, but they are just for show. I am a real tweaker when it comes to my sound, and am always playing with the levels on my amp and the volume and tone knobs on my guitar, and I thought the Super Fuzz would be perfect for me with its gain and terble/bass knobs, but these aren't very functional. If the bass knob is set more than 1/2, the sound is horrendous, and the treble knob seemingly does nothing. The gain knob just fry's the amp speaker, so don't play with it at all. Interestingly, the Switch for the fuzz modes and boost, has a sort of fuzz 1.5 if you can jiggle the Switch in between fuzz 1 and 2, giving you a 3rd sound. Finally, I want to talk about the boost mode. This does nothing in the ways of a fuzz sound, it just makes everything louder, the gain knob does nothing in this mode. I am assuming this mode is for use with a tube amp, or something better than mine, giving you access to the amps Overdrive sound by racking up the volume, which I suppose would be useful, if this pedal weren't designed for practice/home users like myself who aren't likely to own that sort of gear. To conclude the sound: it is acceptable for the price, but you get 2 sounds out of it as soon as the knobs are set, so don't expect to customise your fuzz sound at all.

I play blues, 60's rock, some more modern stuff, and my own twist on blues, so a fuzz pedal is ideal, however, in retrospect, I would not reccomend this to others, I would say save up, and get the Boss fuzz, or even the Fuzz Face if you want to break the bank, or alternativley, buy a diy pedal, they're cheaper, and there is a certain reward in building your own pedal. I've been playing for about 6 years on and off, and solidly for the last 2, and this pedal has got nothing on the quality of the crybaby wah, which is quite affordable too. I do wish I'd had the opportunity to test the pedal before buying, but Behringer are one of those brands easily found online, and never in stores. If it were lost, I wouldn't care, and if it were stolen by another muscian, I would laugh at the hell they are going to have trying to get a decent sound out of this. It is possible, but it takes a lot of work. I like that the pedal gets me a fuzz sound on a budget, but I hate that it takes so effin long to tweak all your gear to get it to sound good. A favourite feature of mine is the fuzz 1.5 you can get from leaving the Switch between fuzz 1 and 2. I wish Behringer would stop using plastic and move up to metal, even if it added like 10 to the cost of the pedal, it feels cheap. Ultimately I say this about the pedal: if you are on a budget, and play primarily alone, then go for this, but be warned you will have to spend some time getting it to sound any good, but if you can, wait, and save up for the Boss fuzz, as it is a much better pedal.

This is a cheap plastic housing, with a basic circuit board push Switch which is activated by pressing on the pedal. There is no way you can gig this, as if you don't press firmly with your whole foot, it would not be activated as the Switch is located on the left side of the pedal, i.e. if you pressed down on the right side of the pedal, nothing will happen. It does feel fine for home use having said that, and jamming sessions with your friends, I've only had it for a few days, and it feels like it will survive a fair while at home.

This pedal is pretty simple to use, 4 knobs, controlling level (volume) gain, and treble and bass boost/cut knobs, and finally the 3 modes: fuzz 1, fuzz 2, and boost. The batter compartment is awkward to get to, as the pedal is on 2 hinges which need to be popped out of place with a pen, and the springs are VERY tough to get off, and subsequently, put back on. The knobs are straight forward, but a little stiff, nothing some strong fingers can't handle though.

SMTHSCN
    EDIT TO MY REVIEW! I've since tested this pedal through a valve amp, (a fender something or other, it's my tutors gigging amp) and it was a whole different world, trust me this amp can sound incredible through a valve amp (after all fuzz is from the valve era no?) it makes a world of difference, if you own a valve amp, go for it, this pedal sounds great! (and the boost function actually works lol)
    BPF55555
    This pedal is awesome. And I've owned a sh@tload of fuzz-boxes. This thing is ugly and plastic, but it gives you a badass superfuzz sound in 'mode 1'. Maybe all you haters should invest in a good tube amp and a real guitar and stop bitching about a pedal that sounds better that ones that cost 4 times as much. I hate most of Behringer's stuff, but this thing is solid. Put an OD in front of it and it screams. Ya, it's no Zvex, but I have both of those too so I don't give a f@ck. It is a great f'n pedal. period.