SF300 Super Fuzz review by Behringer

Behringer: SF300 Super Fuzz

Purchased from: Amazon

I use an Edwards Les Paul copy and an Orange OR15 amp. The amp itself has a good level of distortion but I wanted a cheap fuzz pedal to give me a greater range of sounds. This pedal works really well with my amp. Both of the fuzz settings sound full, fuzzy and quite nasty but surprisingly its the boost setting that I really like. It pushes your amp harder, sort of overdriving it and making the sounds fuller and richer. It gives a much deeper sound to single notes and chords break up with a slightly fuzzy distortion. I bought this pedal for the fuzz but I would recommend it as a fuzzy boost instead. It was cheap, the two fuzzes are strong and sound good and the boost is great. Note. This pedal is a copy (I believe) of a Boss FZ-2. I've never tried one so I can't compare them.

I play mostly sludgy doom metal, blues, grunge, punk, indie etc. Mostly doom though which this pedal suits really well. The fuzz 2 setting with bass on full, treble cut right back and max gain gives me a sound very much like Electric Wizard. Particularly from the "Dopethrone" album. The fuzz 1 setting is quite good for playing nasty punk stuff like early Buzzcocks. The boost is a great setting for anything you want but I really like using it to play the blues. I don't think this pedal is suitable for everyone if they are looking for a fuzz with a variety of tonal options. It does nasty punky fuzzy really well, nasty doomy sludge fuzz brilliantly but both of the fuzz effects seem to go from full on fuzz to all out fuzzy mayhem with little variation in between. The boost is more forgiving. It really does alter you tone in a tweakable way going from a mild tone enhancing boost to a thickly overdriven kind of fuzzy sound. So then, it fuzzes well, hard and nasty but it also provides a warm and pleasant boost. If your thinking of getting this pedal don't expect too much variety from the fuzzes but be prepared for the boost which is actually the pedals best feature.

It seems reliable. I've only had it a short while but all the knobs, switches and jacks seem to be in working order. I'm not good enough to gig so I only play at home. If I was I would think that if you didn't actually stamp on it the pedal would hold up to being used on stage but if you wanted to do this I would take a spare just in case. Or get a Boss FZ-2. I also own a Behringer AM400 Acoustic Modeler pedal. Both of these pedals were cheap and sound really good to me. I think people should be a bit more open minded where these pedals are concerned. Just because the are cheap and have plastic casings doesn't mean they are rubbish. Try one out, I did and I'm really happy.

This pedal has 3 settings and is really easy to use. These are: - Fuzz 1, a trebley kind of sounding fuzz. Quite abrasive and nasty, in a good way. - Fuzz 2, a darker sounding fuzz. I think its an octave down. Also nasty but good, of the two fuzzes available this is my favourite. - Boost. A gain boost. Not really a fuzz effect just boosts your ams volume but also thickens up and enhances your tone. It has a few knobs, level, gain, treble and bass. Its made of thick Orange plastic and the manual that came with it was next to useless, but as its simple to use this didn't really matter a lot.

Waspfactor
    What is this hate behringer thing.Go watch the fz2 comparison test on u toob,no difference.i just completed my board with this baby and can get any tone i want from sabbath to metallica to the pistols to the pixies.Yam pacifica thru orange micro terror thru 2×12.it all rocks just fine and behringer have given me a host of gr8 sounds for a price i can afford.
    Waspfactor
    Just watched two comparisons,absolutely no difference!!In fact the Boss is noisy when not playing,my sf is totally silent.Case closed.
    Fuzzivision
    I agree that this pedal sounds much better through a valve/tube amp. The eq is useful (great for giving a 60's treble boost sound)and there's a decent range of fuzz tones. I just wish I could dial out the octave effect that's mixed in - it can give a harsh metallic sound. Compared with a Fuzz Face this pedal also doesn't clean up at all when rolling down the guitar volume - you get a kind of hit and miss choked sound that is unusable.