SM400 Super Metal review by Behringer

Behringer: SM400 Super Metal

Price paid: A$ 40

Purchased from: Gosford Music Centre

I'm practicing with my Ibanez bass amp, and my Epiphone Les Paul 100, and it sounds fantastic. I can match sounds from Lenny Kravitz, Rammstein, Linkin Park, The White Stripes, etc. mostly by adjusting the tone and level knob. I'm sure I could get much more if I tried. It gets a little noisy when you max everything out, but that's to be expected.

I play a variety of rock music, from metal to just normal rock. I start using this pedal at around the Heavy Rock music stage, and dial up the Distortion as I go from there. I've been playing seriously for about a year. I researched these pedals before I chose this one, so I didn't need to ask anything about it. If it were stolen or lost (as with my guitar) I would donkey punch the thief and take it back. Failing that I would buy a new one. The most comparison I did was to sound clips of other pedals, and I think this sounds almost as good as Boss's equivalent SM2 pedal, which is more than twice the price. The most "comparison" I did was between this and the Behringer Delay pedal (DS100 I believe) which I will probably buy next anyway. I do kind of wish it had a knob for Mids, not just high and low, but I'm still happy with this.

People seem to have a problem with Behringer pedals because they are made of plastic. however they are of solid build, and I would certainly gig it without a backup.

The pedal basically explains itself. It has level, low, high and dist knobs, and with some quick experimentation, it's easy to find great sounds. I was a bit miffed as to how to install the battery, but a quick read of the manual explained it (it's actually under the pedal switch itself). The manual is very brief, but it does the job.

fretsonfire74
    This is actually decent. A friend of mine has one and he upgraded to a Boss MT-2, but it's actually pretty good.
    _GoingBlind_
    its worth every penny.....40 dollars....it has the durability of my kids toy. I broke one at my local music store, I stomped and the pedal seperated from the box. First thing the clerk said was not "ur buying that" it was "cheap POS"....good luck with that thing dude.
    MertaN
    I have a Behringer Ultra distortion. They're cheaply made, but they give a pretty wicked sound. Behringer guitars on the other hand. Pice of crap.
    ~Shred Hero~
    Anything behringer is cheap. Yeah its only $40, but its cheap, it is bound to fail somewhere along the line. Danelectro FAB's are way better, and cheaper.
    Gryphon999
    Behringer pedals are very nice to begin with if u have a amp without any effects or so (like me). But after half a year I started to hate the Behringer pedal so I upgraded to a Boss MT-2 which is great IMO. And I dont regret I bought on of those Behringer!!
    Kraven_Darkkrow
    This is a great pedal I currently have one in my posession and it works great for my playing style. It took a while to figure it out but it was easy to find the tone I wanted once I played around with it a while and so far so great it's working well. wish it wasn't plastic though