TO100 Tube Overdrive review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Behringer: TO100 Tube Overdrive

Price paid: € 10

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I tried it in different ways: 1) Just connected to an interface to check out the effect on a real dry guitar signal. It already sounds very fake, very hard compressed and not natural. It sounds like the very early digital guitar modelers you could get for the PC. I know this is not a "real life" usage of an effect pedal, but you can really see what it does to the sound. 2) Connected to an interface in combination with Guitar Rig 4. Sure it's a bit better but still very muddy and undifferentiated. I would never use it for a recording setup. 3) and most important - connected to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Already knowing, that the Overdrive effect isn't any useful, I tried to use it as a booster pedal (other Overdrive pedals are able to reduce the Drive to zero - like some T-Rex pedals). Unfortunately the TO100 always keeps up some distortion and makes the sound less clear. Well... The only thing I can say, that is good about the effect pedal is, that you don't find the white noise, you get almost any other Behringer pedal. that's something.

I would never recommend the pedal for real live/studio usage. But if you're searching for a nice little cheep pedal to have some fun with or maybe for your children, who have their very first guitar/bass lessons. Why not - 10 Euro really don't hurt anybody. As said before, I bought it mostly because I was curious. I'm playing music semi-professional with about 70-100 gigs a year and therefore you will never find a musician with a TO100 on his pedal board. I'm pretty sure about that. I hope this review helped! Sorry for any language mistakes - I'm from Germany.

Its made of hard plastic but it seems tough enough to step on it in a live situation. So I wouldn't be scared that it breaks. The quality really seems fine for a 10 euro pedal. Nevertheless I would never use the pedal in any live or studio situation - so I wouldn't use it without a backup, I wouldn't even use it as a backup.

The TO100 is a pretty basic pedal. You've got 3 knobs (Drive, Tone, Level), a red light to show that its on. You can use it with a battery (but its a bit intricate to open) or a power supply. The power supply access is on the right side, which is kind of weird. Still - very easy to use. Anyways, its hard to get a good sound of it, that you could use in a real live setup. I mostly bought it, because it cost just 10 Euro and I was curious what you would get for this money. Well, the answer is pretty much nothing.