TO100 Tube Overdrive review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Behringer: TO100 Tube Overdrive

Purchased from: Music store in Dubai (that would explain the "higher" price)

I have only recently become a bit of a pedal fanatic, and am planning on gradually expanding my selection. I am playing an Epiphone Les Paul 100 through a Randall RX15M. The amp is not great, however the beautiful Big Muff makes up for that. This pedal obviously cannot be compared in terms of sound (or anything else) but it is still a decent sounding pedal. I was looking for a cheap Overdrive pedal that would satisfy my blues sound requirement. Nothing special. I have heard a lot of negative criticism of the pedal, and in my opinion not all of it is justified. Yes, the quality is poor, however sound-wise the pedal is a great deal. I usually play it through a clean channel (since my Overdrive is really mushy) and it gives it a good boost, and bluesy to more rock 'n' roll push. I usually play the Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Black Keys and Nirvana styled stuff with the Big Muff, and use this for the more bluesy stuff or "traditional" stuff I like to play (Eric Clapton, AC/DC etc.) The combination of the pedals is pretty alright as well, and gives the Big Muff an even more distorted sound. Not my cup of tea but sounds good. Obviously this pedal will not satisfy your metal needs, since it isn't made for that. In conclusion, I would say it is a good pedal to have on your board if you are not using it as your primary weapon, but more as something to mess about with. In my case I want to improve my blues playing, and it is helping me in doing so.

As mentioned I am more into alternative rock and more of a Hendrix fuzz tone kind of thing. However, this pedal is better suited for the more Eric Clapton, John Mayer styled blues that I also occasionally like to play. It is a good match for that, but if you are someone who is a esteemed blues player then you should look for an upgrade. I walked into the store with the DigiTech Bad Monkey in my hand. I had done a thorough research on various lower budget Overdrive pedals. I was looking at the Marshall Bluesbreaker as well. But just as I was about to Pick up the Big Monkey this thing got my eye. I spoke to the shop owner who at first was pushing me towards the Big Monkey (which costed 85 USD, quite a bit more) but later admitted that sound-wise there is not much difference, however the quality is much cheaper. I chose the Behringer since it was cheaper and I wanted it for simple purposes. Do not regret it. If it were stolen... I would probably upgrade which I think would be the natural thing most people would do in this case. I wish when you lower the tone and the Drive the sound would be smoother and not so fragmented and static. This would make it easier to play some of the more gliding kind of stuff.

The quality is plain and simply bad. I noticed that from the moment I held it in my hand, and the shopkeeper even notified me on that. I said that if I bought the DigiTech Bad Monkey he would give a year's warranty but for this pedal nothing. The knobs have no resistance so it feels like there are going to break. Some are looser than others as well which makes it feel uncomfortable. The pedal is made of plastic which is quite a turn off but I don't care much about aesthetics since it satisfies my sound needs. With my band it has never come in need since we play alternateveish shoegazeish indieish rock. However, I don't see why your wouldn't gig with it. Just don't step on it too hard.

The pedal is relatively easy to use, and should only take a few minutes before you get the hang of it. A manual is included with the pedal, however it is not the most extensive and is therefore not of much use. Three knobs: Drive, Level and Tone. The manual explains their basic function, and then it is up to you to simply experiment. It has a power supply which is A LOT more convenient to use than the batteries because it is terribly annoying to open the battery case located in the back due to the tight and cheap screws.

Smart Patrol
    Thing rv_phoenix forgets is in USA Behringer pedals are almost for free, considering the average income. U$30 is almost like free for them. So many people buy, play, test real pedals from Boss, MXR and others and then they either throw it in the garbage can or give it as gift for another noob player. So the noob learns how to play, buys the real thing and then gives it away to some other pal. So life goes on...
    TheGuitarGuyBr
    No complaints about this. I use it as a subtle drive on those more quiet blues passages. I like to use it when I'm supposed to play clean guitar, 'cause with low gain, it sounds very cleanish, with a kick o bluesy sound. I also use it to boost my Shred Master sometimes.