TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive review by Behringer

Price paid: A$ 49.99

Purchased from: Rajen Music

I currently play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through a Vox Night Train 15w head that runs through a Marshall 4X12 loaded with Celestion G12-412 AVT speakers. By itself, the amp and cab sound really juicy. The pedal doesn't quite compare the "thick" setting on the amp which is juicier than juice! I used to play through a solid state amp and it gave the amp a really nice overdriven tone. I play alot of rock n roll such as Airbourne and AC/DC and stuff all the way up to Metallica, Megadeth and even Parkway Drive. The pedal does a rock tone really well, however it is not powerful enough to do metal. It can get quite noisy when you turn the Drive up and the tone up, this pedal does have a distinct treble spike though, the bass is quite weak in this pedal. With this pedal, you get what you pay for, maybe a little more. Definately a dirty sounding tube Overdrive pedal.

For rock n' roll and blues, this is a great starter's pedal. You get what you pay for, and a little extra. I have been playing for 4 years now and this pedal has served me well. It is now close to retirement as I will be upgrading in the new year. For all the gigs I have played, this pedal has proven itself as a worthy pedal. It gives you a nice crunch tone for the blues and a juicy rock tone. The only downsides of the pedal are that it has a distinctive treble spike the louder it gets. If it was stolen I'd be fairly pissed off, if I was fairly new to playing, I would replace it. Compared to a Boss pedal it would definately be a worthy contender. For such a cheap price, it is a worthy pedal. I'd recommend this for beginners who want to familiarise themselves with pedals and get a sweet Overdrive tone.

The pedal is made out of plastic, it can take a beating, but when I took off the top plate to put in a battery, I had trouble putting the spring that creates the tension on the pedal itself back into place. Because of this, I took the spring out. I wouldn't gig with this anymore, I'd upgrade. I have gigged with this before however, it gave a really nice crunch tone for blues. I don't think it would last a lifetime however.

This pedal is an extremely easy pedal to operate. It is your standard stomp pedal with Drive, tone and volume controls. You can achieve a fairly juicy overdriven tone from pretty much any amp. This model has been around for quite a while. I have had it since 2006. The manual was very basic, I only just recently figured out how to open the damn thing to insert a battery... A Boss pedal is much more easier to open.