TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive review by Behringer

Price paid: € 30

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I have been using it with a Fender Stratocaster and different types of amps over the time (mainly with the 10 watt Ibanez that I have at home) and the sound is surprisingly good for a pedal that only cost me about 30 Euros. Although there are some problems: the sound has too much treble and the Tone knob doesn't really solve that problem. You can't get that "bassy" sound out of it. Another problem is the background noise. You can't really hear it if your Drive know is at less than, let's say, 1 o'clock, but beyond that, the noise gets slightly louder. It's not too loud, but it's just enough to annoy you :). But to get anything better, you'd have to pay a lot more money so it's kind of a compromise.

I play different styles of music, from alternative rock to punk and some classical stuff. It works really well for some riff parts and solos (take the song "I Love Rock'n'Roll" for example. It works really well there). The weird thing about it is the battery changing system. It's pretty ingenious, but many people simply don't know at first how to change the battery, and it's not stated anywhere in the manual. The thing is you have to press the black pins that hold the upper part of the pedal onto the rest (the piece that you stomp on) with a sharp object (like a pen) and then simply remove the lid, change the battery, and then put the lid back on as it was. It's probably the best thing you can get for this price, but it would have been even better if the player had more control over the tone. An equalizer or something of the sort probably would have helped a lot.

I've had it for roughly 2 years and I have had no problems with it, although I don't keep it in a pedalboard of anything. It's made of plastic, but it's quite durable. Not like metal though. It works just as well with a battery or an adaptor, but I prefer the latter, because you just don't know when your battery is going to die on you. That's one of the down-sides. I have used it on gigs without a backup and haven't experienced any problems with it. It's pretty sturdy.

The Behringer TO800 is a pretty simple pedal. It only has 3 control knobs: one for Drive, one for Tone and another one for Level. I think it's pretty obvious what each one does. The Level is mainly the difference between the sound that your guitar makes when the pedal is "OFF" and the sound that you hear when it's "ON". It would have been better for it to give more control over your tone. With only 3 knobs, you can't tweak your tone too much.

Waspfactor
    Hi all,super behringer fan here,and no I dont work for them.I have all behringer pedals on my board and the TO800 has got to be my favorite.I play a Yam Pacifica and an Epi Les Paul thru an Orange micro terror and cab,with a touch of gain on the amp and the pedal kicked in it sounds gr8,sure its a tube screamer clone,but it stands on its own as a great gain pedal,fully recommended.
    castintheTele
    I got one today, and man its great, completey disagree with the first reviews who gave it a 6.9, but oh well. Go out and buy one if you get the chance, its basically a copy of the classic Ibanez tubescreamer that sounds amazing, you just can't go wrong with the tubescreamer sound.
    strato08
    the TO800, i would say, is a very very good tube overdrive pedal. i currently have an Ibanez TS9 and the TO800 is just comparable in every way. It can nail the tone of a TS808 and TS9. i put aside my TS9 to give way to the TO800 on my pedal board...not that im replacing the TS9, but would be using my TS9 as a backup.