TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 06/29/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Get screaming tube-like distortion, smooth sustain and super-fat tone with our TO800. If you want vintage and screaming tube-like distortion, the TO800 is the one to go for!
 Reliability & Durability: 6.7
 8,909
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: 239, on july 23, 2007

Purchased from: Local Music Centre

Ease of Use: It's a very easy to use pedal it has 3 controls (level, drive, tone). Their manual is pretty bad they just give a brief rundown of what each thing does that's about they don't include sample settings or anything like that. But if you have used an effects pedal before than this one is no problem even if you haven't used pedals before it only takes a second to figure everthing out. // 10

Sound: It has an alright sound sounds like most other overdrives, but it has too much treble it would be nice if it had just a bit more bass. I'm currently using a custom guitar fitted with Dimarzio Breeds and A HS-2 in the middle and that's running into my 20w Drive CD100 amp. I've used this pedal as a booster to my amp's natural distortion and that sounded really good, and I have used it alone and that dosen't sound too bad but it has too much treble to it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've had this pedal for about a month now and so far I haven't had to change the battery, it's not a battery guzzler. It is made of plastic not metal so I am a bit cautious that I don't step too hard on it. I might bring another 1 to a gig just in case that I do break it. // 5

Overall Impression: I play a lot of punk rock and alternative rock it can handle it but it's better when it's boosting something else like your amp. it's alright for the price, but if they took about $10 off then that would be better. The fact that it is made of plastic is scary and for me it has too much treble but I'm happy with it, could be better, but it does do it's job. If it were lost I probably would consider getter a better one if I could. // 6

TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: Westy_metallica, on december 22, 2009

Price paid: A$ 49.99

Purchased from: Rajen Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is an extremely easy pedal to operate. It is your standard stomp pedal with Drive, tone and volume controls. You can achieve a fairly juicy overdriven tone from pretty much any amp. This model has been around for quite a while. I have had it since 2006. The manual was very basic, I only just recently figured out how to open the damn thing to insert a battery... A Boss pedal is much more easier to open. // 9

Sound: I currently play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through a Vox Night Train 15w head that runs through a Marshall 4X12 loaded with Celestion G12-412 AVT speakers. By itself, the amp and cab sound really juicy. The pedal doesn't quite compare the "thick" setting on the amp which is juicier than juice! I used to play through a solid state amp and it gave the amp a really nice overdriven tone. I play alot of rock n roll such as Airbourne and AC/DC and stuff all the way up to Metallica, Megadeth and even Parkway Drive. The pedal does a rock tone really well, however it is not powerful enough to do metal. It can get quite noisy when you turn the Drive up and the tone up, this pedal does have a distinct treble spike though, the bass is quite weak in this pedal. With this pedal, you get what you pay for, maybe a little more. Definately a dirty sounding tube Overdrive pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is made out of plastic, it can take a beating, but when I took off the top plate to put in a battery, I had trouble putting the spring that creates the tension on the pedal itself back into place. Because of this, I took the spring out. I wouldn't gig with this anymore, I'd upgrade. I have gigged with this before however, it gave a really nice crunch tone for blues. I don't think it would last a lifetime however. // 7

Overall Impression: For rock n' roll and blues, this is a great starter's pedal. You get what you pay for, and a little extra. I have been playing for 4 years now and this pedal has served me well. It is now close to retirement as I will be upgrading in the new year. For all the gigs I have played, this pedal has proven itself as a worthy pedal. It gives you a nice crunch tone for the blues and a juicy rock tone. The only downsides of the pedal are that it has a distinctive treble spike the louder it gets. If it was stolen I'd be fairly pissed off, if I was fairly new to playing, I would replace it. Compared to a Boss pedal it would definately be a worthy contender. For such a cheap price, it is a worthy pedal. I'd recommend this for beginners who want to familiarise themselves with pedals and get a sweet Overdrive tone. // 8

TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: TatianaThe3rd, on june 29, 2010

Price paid: € 30

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Ease of Use: The Behringer TO800 is a pretty simple pedal. It only has 3 control knobs: one for Drive, one for Tone and another one for Level. I think it's pretty obvious what each one does. The Level is mainly the difference between the sound that your guitar makes when the pedal is "OFF" and the sound that you hear when it's "ON". It would have been better for it to give more control over your tone. With only 3 knobs, you can't tweak your tone too much. // 9

Sound: I have been using it with a Fender Stratocaster and different types of amps over the time (mainly with the 10 watt Ibanez that I have at home) and the sound is surprisingly good for a pedal that only cost me about 30 Euros. Although there are some problems: the sound has too much treble and the Tone knob doesn't really solve that problem. You can't get that "bassy" sound out of it. Another problem is the background noise. You can't really hear it if your Drive know is at less than, let's say, 1 o'clock, but beyond that, the noise gets slightly louder. It's not too loud, but it's just enough to annoy you :). But to get anything better, you'd have to pay a lot more money so it's kind of a compromise. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for roughly 2 years and I have had no problems with it, although I don't keep it in a pedalboard of anything. It's made of plastic, but it's quite durable. Not like metal though. It works just as well with a battery or an adaptor, but I prefer the latter, because you just don't know when your battery is going to die on you. That's one of the down-sides. I have used it on gigs without a backup and haven't experienced any problems with it. It's pretty sturdy. // 8

Overall Impression: I play different styles of music, from alternative rock to punk and some classical stuff. It works really well for some riff parts and solos (take the song "I Love Rock'n'Roll" for example. It works really well there). The weird thing about it is the battery changing system. It's pretty ingenious, but many people simply don't know at first how to change the battery, and it's not stated anywhere in the manual. The thing is you have to press the black pins that hold the upper part of the pedal onto the rest (the piece that you stomp on) with a sharp object (like a pen) and then simply remove the lid, change the battery, and then put the lid back on as it was. It's probably the best thing you can get for this price, but it would have been even better if the player had more control over the tone. An equalizer or something of the sort probably would have helped a lot. // 8

Comments