UD100 Ultra Distortion review by Behringer

Behringer: UD100 Ultra Distortion

Purchased from: a friend

Although it could never match my still missed and MIJ Boss Superfeedbacker (read review), it has a very interesting, crunchy sound in both modes. It's a bit noisy, more on mode 1. However I watched a live test on Boss DS-2, and the distortion quality and noise level reminded me of the Ultra Distortion. I use it with a strato guitar (single coil) and an Orange Crush 15R amp. While the pedal has only a single Tone knob, the amp compensates, since it has a parametric equalizer. I also have a flanger and a modular digital delay. The final result is very good. I have learned why this pedal is Not True Bypass. When using the Level knob with Clean sound, it gives the guitar a more trebled sound, with some gain, but not overdriven. If I put the Level all the way down, it will sound equal as if the guitar had no pedal. However, if you don't use it, you will hear no sound with effect on. Anyway, in despite of the difference, it can still be considered Clean when playing loud. Yes, a very good pedal, if you have some good quality equipment to support it.

20 years ago I had a Boss DF-2 Superfeedbacker and Distortion, a pro level pedal. I played lots of covers of different kind with it. Now, having no intention to be pro, I find this entry-level UD-100 very good, cost-effective, if compared to competition. Unlike the lame flanger I bought, the Behringer overdrive/distortion pedals seem to be very decent. One thing that would make Ultra Distortion a real keeper would be cloning the DS-2's Remote jack. Difficult to say if I would buy it again, if something happens. Maybe I would look for a Boss, which is more pro and reason to be proud of. In despite of this statement, I seriouly have no hurry to upgrade this one. It does the job fine.

Maybe it's not the pedal of my dreams, but this plastic thing gained from me lots of respect regarding resistance and reliability. First, I bought it from a guy who notoriously abuses of his pedals. It came with some scratches, but there were no cracks of any kind, with the knobs and Switch working properly and no problems with the jacks. Second, and more incredible: it resisted a 12V PSU I was using by mistake. It's working normally, and now I have a stable multi-pedal PSU, which will avoid any problems with long term use. I don't know how much time I will keep this thing, but I think I can rely on it. If it malfunctions or dies, I can always blame my recklessness of having used an inappropriate PSU.

Except for the Mode switch, it's a standard distortion pedal with the level, Tone and Distortion knobs. No manual needed. You can safely set the ammount of effects in both modes. Mode 1 stands for a DS-1-like sound, while mode 2 is a higher gain distortion, more mid-ranged and metallic sounding, better for leads and solos. Except for the lack of a Remote jack, it's a clone of Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion. The Remote would be very handy, to toggle modes with a footswitch. Other than that, UD-100 is very versatile and easy to use.