UD100 Ultra Distortion Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 02/24/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: UD100 Ultra Distortion
A flexible 2-mode switch lets you choose between warm distortion for riff rock and screaming distortion for lead sounds, plus there are dedicated level, tone and distortion controls for practical sound shaping.
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 6.7
 7.9
 5.5
 2,426
reviews (11) 18 comments vote for this gear:
UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: luisato, on august 05, 2009

Purchased from: Argentina

Ease of Use: The UD 100 only has three knobs. One for gain, another for tone, and the last one for the level which makes the use of it very easy. It also has a mode selector with two positions. It contains a very small manual which is unneccesary to read. So if you ever had an stompbox, it would be very easy to you to get a good sound from it. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a cheap Burmeister Stratocaster and a 40w Electrovox amp. In my case I get some annoying noise when using high gain settings and not playing with my guitar, but if I'm using normal distortion there's no problem with it. In my opinion this ditortion offers you a very adaptable sound from very low distorted rifs( on mode 1)to high gain leads(on mode 2)I mostly play Hard Rock/Heavy Metal like AC/DC, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Iron Maiden, but I only use the effect for the solos. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is quite reliable but you have to take some care of it, because it is made all of plastic, so I recommend you to try to avoid any falls or smash because it could result seriously damaged. I never use it with batterys, I always use it with a backup but I think that if you use it on gig with some goog batterys you wouldn't have any problem. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said I mostly play heavy metal, and I'm able to get some good high gain distortion for solos and some killing riffs. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years and I recommend using this effect with some good delay to get some more sutain and if you also want to get a perfect tone you need to buy an ecualizer because it only has one tone without dividing bass, mids and trebles. If it were stolen I would buy another better distortion just to improve my equipment. To sum up, if you're a begginer-intermediate player and need some distortion at low price, this pedal is a very good option, but if you are and advance player, you just have to think about another thing. // 8

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: Sn^ke, on april 10, 2006

Purchased from: Mega Music

Ease of Use: This is about the only good thing about this pedal. There are no complications when using it. An ape with downsyndrome could figure it out. You turn the knobs, you press down on the pedal for on/off. Hurray. But at the top of this screen here it says "How easy is it to get a good sound out of it?". And the answer to that is 'impossible'. You will never get a 'good' tone out of it, so I'm going to give it an 8 for ease of use. // 8

Sound: Alrighty, when I first bought this pedal I thought "for $35 how can I go wrong!?", and I sure did. I'd have been better off saving my money for an MT2 Metal Zone or another Boss pedal. Ok so I plugged it in for the first time when I was a n00b and I didn't know any better, it sounded alright I thought. That was until I compared it to a friends pedal, the UD100 was put to shame. Anyway, no point relating this to my musical tastes, it's not good for anyone. But I'll give it a three because it sounds bearable through a load of delay and reverb. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This pedal doesn't feel like it's gonna break, but it does feel somewhat cheaply made, and it's plastic construction makes it somewhat inferior to it's steel bodied competitors. Would I use it at a gig without a backup? I wouldn't use it at a gig at all. // 7

Overall Impression: I'm going to give it a six for overall. Basically you get what you pay for, so this score is relative to my $35 or whatever you paid for one (hopefully you didn't). The tone is a nightmare, really. And the body feels cheap, but still durable (if that makes sense). When buying this pedal I didn't know jack about effects, I was just happy to have distortion, and now I know. Don't bother with this one, go for a Metal Zone. // 6

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: chatlo77, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: The unit is quite easy to use, you can get a wide range of sounds from it but it doesn't cope too well with Metal kind of sounds. The manual was pretty much non-existent but there is only 3 dials, level, tone, drive, and it is pretty easy to get a decent sound. // 9

Sound: I am using the pedal through my Behringer X V-AMP, Squier SP-10 amp and a Squier Bullet Strat. It gets noisy when the Level is too high on the pedal and the Bridge or Neck pickup is selected on the guitar. I play RHCP, John Frusciante, Blink 182, +44 and some others and I don't have any problems getting those sounds. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is quite durable even considering it is made of plastic. I have played 1 or 2 gigs with it and it did the job quite well. I would much rather prefer using it as a backup though. The only real fault with it is that it really chews up the 9V batteries. Other than that it is well made. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mainly just rock and the UD100 does well. I've been playing for about 4 years, own a Squier Bullet Strat and SP-10 practice amp, without the pedal and my X-VAMP the SP-10 amp isn't worth owning. If it were stolen I would probably save up and get a DS-1 or DS-2. It is a good pedal for beginners to intermediate players but if you want the pro tone save your pennies and get a DS-1. // 8

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on december 17, 2008

Ease of Use: It was fairly easy to get a nice sound out of this, but that's one of the only good things about this pedal. it was so easy that I didn't even look at the manual, (I can't remember if it came with one or not, but I think it did). This pedal "cracks" a lot and it is very annoying sometimes. The Behringer UD100 really isn't special in any way. It's just an average pedal. // 6

Sound: This pedal sounds pretty good. I only had everything set on 5, but it still sounded pretty good. This pedal is actually quite noisy, and it is very bothersome while you are playing. But this pedal sounded nicely most of the time. Good sound is about the best thing about the UD100 // 8

Reliability & Durability: The UD100 broke the first day I got it. I only used it gently at first (like I do with all pedals) and it wouldn't go down. I brought it back to the store the next day and they fixed that, but then a new problem came. It wouldn't turn on. The pieces inside were broken and snapped off. I don't know if this was the stores fault or not because they're normally really good with this stuff. But this pedal was really a piece of junk. // 1

Overall Impression: I play all rock, and this pedal matched it fairly well. But I would never get this pedal again because of the extremely poor way it was built didn't compare it to other pedals at the time, because I thought how much different could these distortion pedals be from each other. The only thing that I didn't like about apart from poor construction was the bright Pink color. This pedal really is, nothing special. // 6

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: irockonguitar, on february 20, 2006

Purchased from: Dawsons

Ease of Use: Well first off all this is the pedal for people who dont want to spend lots of money on a pedal. It has a switch to set it to a blues distortion or a metal distortion. The switches on it are Level, tone and distortion. It is very easy to get a sound from it but the knobs on it feel abit loose. The manual was very bad for this. It was just a sheet telling you the basic, it it would be better if it told you how to get differant sounds out off it. // 8

Sound: I use it with a Squier Strat and a little crappy amp I got with it and I can make my crap amp sound very distorted. It makes it a lot louder when you put the level knob up and sounds to distorted. I don't realy have any favarote bands to get any sounds with this pedals off but I use it in my band for a few songs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it because I have dropped it alot and spilt stuff on it and it still works perfectly. I have used it in gigs and it dosnt make a buzz sound at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal stuff for my band and it sounds great with this. For gigging I use my mates stuff wich is an epiphone les paul and a marshal 100 watt amp and it fits an with all of my other pedals perfectly. If I broke it I wouldnt buy it agien because I have a spare one that has a knob missing but I can take it of the other one. My favarote feature is the distortion because I love a very distorted sound. I just chose this one because of the name. // 10

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: Illusive, on april 12, 2006

Purchased from: Piens Music Planet

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. It's got 3 knobs and a switch. You use the switch to choose between rythme or solo stance. Then you use the knobs to select the desired level, tone and the amount of distortion. The manual shows what everything does and how to replace the battery. No presets but then again, allmost everysetting sounds great. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Fender Stratocaster and a small 15W amp. It doens't give any noise unless you put the level and the distortion all the way up, but that whouldn't give a good sound anyway so why whould you do that? The effects are perfect, you can allways hear you guitar coming through clearly, even with very heavy distortion. I can get the sounds from Metallica (e.g. Master Of Puppets, Am I Evil, Jump In The Fire), Blink 182, The Pixies, Santana (combined with my amps Overdrive) and many others. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a very firm pedal, allthough the materials aren't that endurable (but what do expect for 23?). It hasn't failed to work yet, so I'd say it's very dependable, but using it without a backup? No, I whouldn't do yhat with any pedal, something can allways go wrong. // 7

Overall Impression: It gives a fine sound for any type of music requiting distortion. I whould certainly buy it again unless I find the cash to buy me multiFX processor. // 9

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: MarcoGE, on november 07, 2007

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Ease of Use: It's easy of use: you've got to press on it, and it's not a little buton but the whole bottom of the pedal, so it's easier to press right. It might be a bit difficult to put the battery in if you don't know how to at the beginning, because the manual does simply not explain how to do it. You have to press on both sides of the thing and put the plastic cover off, put the 9V battery in, and finally put the cover on again. // 7

Sound: I used it at first with a little Marshall 10W amp and an Epiphone LesPaul, and it wasn't really good. When it was low it seemed like an Overdrive thing and if you put it too high you just couldn't hear the melody, it was just noise. Then I used it with an Orange 30W combo and the same Epiphone LP and it was really better, the low distortion was sweet and the second level was hard and really distorded. At the end I tested it with the same amp but with the new Gibson rockstar, a LesPaul BFG, and it was just a nice rock'n'roll sound with the first level and a hard metal sound at the second. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I just had it for one moth and it still works properly. It's a little distorition pedal that could be used on small gigs but it still is a little one. But if you do little gigs with your band, using it in some songs that will be okay. I don't have a band so I can't really tell you, I only play at home for the moment, but I think it can be possible to play with it on a small gig. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock, alternative and indie and with the first level it's really fine, I just use the ultra level for fun. If it gets lost it I'd maybe buy a new one of the same kind, at least a Behringer one because I already have an overdrive pedal from the same brand and for that price it's really hard to do better than this. However, it's better if you play with a good amp, if you play with a cheap amp with no body, it won't sound very good. It's your choice. The sound's good, the color is pretty fun, it's cheap. As I said, for this price I think it's the better you could have. For ending with this, I'd like to apologize for my english, I don't speak english often, I'm from Switzerland and I speak french, so I'm sorry for the mistakes you may have found. // 9

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: HiyuKantaro, on may 28, 2008

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Knowing this is a very cheap pedal, you may not expect the 100% Distortion Sound you want. Behringer Did include a Manual, but what's the point of reading the manual for a effect pedal. it's just 3 pods 1 Switch and a foot pedal to swithc on and off. And indeed it is very easy to use... although I would advise this pedal to no one except guitarist that want to try some distortion and don't want to spend 90 euro's on a Boss Metalzone (which is really awesome). // 10

Sound: I used this pedal with a Epiphone LP Studio and a Peavey Amp. I tried to play a little metal with it, but I failed because the pedal gave me a weak, hardness lacking sound! Then I tried to play some Classic Rock with it, this was the genre the pedal fitted best. Afterwards I messed around with it a bit, but in a while I just stopt because it really didn't sound good though. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Well, if you take a look at the pedal. You notice that it looks like a toy a lot (not because of it being Pink, hich is the cool thing about it in my opinion). And if you have used it several times, it will blow up itself and maybe your cable as well. Don't panic when that time comes you will already kicked the pedal out of the house and you might have bought yourself a nice Boss or DigiTech distortion. // 2

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before: It doesn't fit metal at all, but it's good enough for classic rock. I replaced this thing after 1 and a half week, but too bad my new one isn't Pink! If we would Live in a perfect world. Boss would sell their effects for the same price as Behringer does, but with the same quality! // 5

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: DarkString, on december 03, 2009

Price paid: € 29

Purchased from: MusicStore.de

Ease of Use: Hi Guys this is my first Review so be not to hart with me. Today I want to write about the UD100 from Behringer. It's a distortion Effect pedal. It was my first Effect, its easy to use and not very complicated. One cool thing is you get two distortion pedals in one you can play from blues-rock rhythms to screaming leads. It got an flexible 2-mode Switch which lets you choose between warm distortion for riff rock and screaming distortion for lead sounds. Dedicated Level, Tone and Distortion controls for awesome sound shaping. A Status LED for effect on/off and battery check. It runs on 9 V battery or the Behringer PSU-SB DC power supply (not included), you can use any switch able Power device or 9V Power device of your choice. It got an electronic On/Off Switch for noise-free operation High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life. The Manual is short but it is very good it explains every thing in a good short way. // 8

Sound: I use it with the Behringer V-Tone GM108 Amp and some other effects from Behringer. Its not nosiy, the Effekt is always great, with the right setup, sometimes its a bit tricky to find the right setup, but when you get it, its sound great. To find good setups got to the Behringer Hoepage, there are some presets with sampels of the sound. You can use other effects with it like a Flanger or a Phase shifter (but the shifter + the distortion is hard to setup :-) ) If I can get the Sound of one of my favorit artists? Hmm I can say "I don't know", I've never Test it. But If you want to try it pleas do it and give response please. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Every time I used it, it was great. If I would use it on a gig with out backup? Yes I would. The Reliability & Durability is very good, if it fall or you throw it against a wall, or kick it, it would be still alive. I think theis effect is one off the most durable effects on the markt. // 10

Overall Impression: With this Effekt you can play from Blues over Rock to lite Metal, everything. I used it know for about 2 Years and it worked great. If it get broken, lost or stolen I would buy it agian, in cause of the sound. My Amp is not very big (it's an beginner's AMP :-) ) but when I used the Distorion effect it sounds big :-). I used also with other effects like a flanger, Shifter and sometimes with a reverb, its sound great. One of the great features is you can used with a battery or with a external power supply, so you can used everywhere. Overall: I think it's a very good effect for the Price, and it could get in Line with some effects wich are more expensive. So if you have less money and you want a distortion effect. Buy this one. Greets Dark, Thanks for time and everything else :-) // 10

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: Smart Patrol, on september 13, 2010

Purchased from: a friend

Ease of Use: Except for the Mode switch, it's a standard distortion pedal with the level, Tone and Distortion knobs. No manual needed. You can safely set the ammount of effects in both modes. Mode 1 stands for a DS-1-like sound, while mode 2 is a higher gain distortion, more mid-ranged and metallic sounding, better for leads and solos. Except for the lack of a Remote jack, it's a clone of Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion. The Remote would be very handy, to toggle modes with a footswitch. Other than that, UD-100 is very versatile and easy to use. // 8

Sound: Although it could never match my still missed and MIJ Boss Superfeedbacker (read review), it has a very interesting, crunchy sound in both modes. It's a bit noisy, more on mode 1. However I watched a live test on Boss DS-2, and the distortion quality and noise level reminded me of the Ultra Distortion. I use it with a strato guitar (single coil) and an Orange Crush 15R amp. While the pedal has only a single Tone knob, the amp compensates, since it has a parametric equalizer. I also have a flanger and a modular digital delay. The final result is very good. I have learned why this pedal is Not True Bypass. When using the Level knob with Clean sound, it gives the guitar a more trebled sound, with some gain, but not overdriven. If I put the Level all the way down, it will sound equal as if the guitar had no pedal. However, if you don't use it, you will hear no sound with effect on. Anyway, in despite of the difference, it can still be considered Clean when playing loud. Yes, a very good pedal, if you have some good quality equipment to support it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Maybe it's not the pedal of my dreams, but this plastic thing gained from me lots of respect regarding resistance and reliability. First, I bought it from a guy who notoriously abuses of his pedals. It came with some scratches, but there were no cracks of any kind, with the knobs and Switch working properly and no problems with the jacks. Second, and more incredible: it resisted a 12V PSU I was using by mistake. It's working normally, and now I have a stable multi-pedal PSU, which will avoid any problems with long term use. I don't know how much time I will keep this thing, but I think I can rely on it. If it malfunctions or dies, I can always blame my recklessness of having used an inappropriate PSU. // 9

Overall Impression: 20 years ago I had a Boss DF-2 Superfeedbacker and Distortion, a pro level pedal. I played lots of covers of different kind with it. Now, having no intention to be pro, I find this entry-level UD-100 very good, cost-effective, if compared to competition. Unlike the lame flanger I bought, the Behringer overdrive/distortion pedals seem to be very decent. One thing that would make Ultra Distortion a real keeper would be cloning the DS-2's Remote jack. Difficult to say if I would buy it again, if something happens. Maybe I would look for a Boss, which is more pro and reason to be proud of. In despite of this statement, I seriouly have no hurry to upgrade this one. It does the job fine. // 8

UD100 Ultra Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2011

Price paid: € 20

Purchased from: Internet

Ease of Use: I decided to set up a pedal board instead of buying a multi effects processor. Having looked at the price of some Boss pedals and others, I discovered that Behringer pedals are just as good and much much more affordable. As I play a lot of lead guitar, I had to have the UD100 in my setup. Its very easy to use and the manual is just there for good measure. // 9

Sound: At first I wasn't sure if the sound would be as good as the likes of the Boss sd-1, etc. But when I got the pedal, and played around with it, you can pretty much tune it to however you like. The two options give you a wide scope of sounds from deep bluesy rock tones to high gain lead overdrive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The big issue with Behringer pedal seems to be the fact that they are made of plastic. This was my biggest worry when I was reviewing them. My advice to anyone thinking of buying any Behringer pedal is... If your a lunatic who likes to smash things, this probably isn't for you. However, I like to take care of my equipment and I look after it, I admit I've dropped it a few times, but its still in perfect working order with not breaks or cracks. its obviously not as sturdy as a Boss which is obviously made of steal, but thats why the Behringer is cheap, its made for people like me who want good quality pedals, who isn't trying to put my foot through the stage floor everytime I use it. I use it with a power supply as most pedals are pretty rough on batteries and its never let me down. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, if I lost this pedal I would definately buy it again. Like I said before, its not the best pedal on the market but its definately one of the best value for money. Its good quality and its reliable. But as mentioned above... If your a lunatic who likes to put your foot through the stage floor everytime you want to use it, this probably isn't for you. // 10

Comments