UF100 Ultra Flanger Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 09/17/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: UF100 Ultra Flanger
Get two flangers in onefrom jet-plane to thick chorus, vibrato and short delay effects, packed in one stomp box.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 2,893
reviews (4) 20 comments vote for this gear:
UF100 Ultra Flanger Reviewed by: hhr, on july 20, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: If you have used any type of guitar effect before, you can figure this one out. There are 4 knobs: manual, depth, rate, and resonance. The pedal also has a toggle switch for mode 1 or mode 2. Manual (included) explains all of the features in great detail. The only thing I wish this pedal had was a level control knob. // 10

Sound: Sounds great with all my guitars (strat and Les Paul) through a Crate practice amp. The sound of the pedal is very nice and there are many different sounds to choose from. The pedal goes nice with my other effects and the sound of the pedal can range from 'jet plane' sounds to faster almost phaser-like sounds. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No problems whatsoever. The only complaint I have with this pedal is the position of the battery compartment. It requires a pen to remove the stomp portion of the pedal to access the battery. This would prove to be a pain, but I guess that's why you check your batteries before playing. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal music but this pedal is a must have for most types of music. Like I said, I only paid $15 so I figured I couldn't go wrong and wasn't expecting much, but I will probably buy more Behringer pedal in the future. I have played other flange pedals in this price range, and none of them really stood out, including this one, but I'm glad I decided to buy this one. // 10

UF100 Ultra Flanger Reviewed by: ckyozzy, on october 17, 2007

Ease of Use: If you've used pedals before, it's pretty simple. 4 knobs: manual, depth, rate, and resonance. The manual explains them somewhat, but I've had this pedal for about a year and a half and I still don't quite know exactly what the hell the first two knobs do. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with a Gibson SG Faded, a Hellbabe Wah, and a Crate GTD120 amp. It sounds great to me. It can achieve wide range of sounds, from a very subtle whoosh to rapid repetitions that sound almost tremolo-like.Another thing I'd like to point out is that if you set your amp/distortion pedal to high gain, turn down the first three knobs all the way, turn the resonance knob all the way up, and wait, the pedal will produce this drone. You can change the pitch of the drone by moving the manual and depth knobs, and if you turn the rate all the way up, it sounds somewhat like a siren. You can basically just play around and get a very interesting sound effect from it. I'm planning to buy another one soon so as to have one for regualar flanging and another to velcro on to my guitar, and not have to bend down to produce this effect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like I said, I've had this pedal for a year, and for the most part, it still works great. I once lost my balance mid practice and basically put all of my weight on it, so it sounds a bit distorted now when I'm on clean, but I mostly use it with distortion anyway, so it's not a problem. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly alternative and progressive rock, and this pedal works very well for my music. It adds a little spice to a riff or a solo when needed. Basically, this pedal abd a wah make up my pedal board, along with a footswitch for my amp which controls Overdrive, distortion, and delay. I've yet to find a desirable effect that I can't reproduce with this pedal. Overall, this is an extremely versatile, fun, and interesting pedal, and at $20, you've really got nothing to lose, and lots to gain. // 9

UF100 Ultra Flanger Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 10, 2008

Purchased from: Local Shop

Ease of Use: Very easy to get good sounds out of this pedal. Two modes allow you to get a variety of sounds: from jet-plane to chorus, to an almost phaser-like sound on the higher speed rates. I bought mine used so it didn't come with a manual, but it's fairly simple to use. Features include: Mode Switch, Manual, Depth, Rate, and Resonanace knobs. // 10

Sound: I use a few different model Ibanez guitars, a Peavey Windsor, Crate V18 and this pedal sounds great on all of them. The effect is never weak, and sounds great on clean and distorted sounds. The sounds from this pedal are comparable to those of more expensive models. Definitely my favorite Behringer pedal I've tried. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this pedal many times Live without a backup. Although it is plastic, it should be durable and reliable enough to stand up to Live playing. And for the price, if you break it you aren't breaking your bank. I've had mine for a couple years now with no problems so it's definitely been worth the $20. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and I've been playing for a few years now. I've owned a few guitars and a few amps, but this pedal sounds good on all and would fit into any pedalboard for any genre with ease. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another one. This thing is comparable to many of the other flangers out there, but at around 1/3 of the price. // 10

UF100 Ultra Flanger Reviewed by: Smart Patrol, on september 17, 2010

Purchased from: Local shop

Ease of Use: This thing deceived me at a first look, since the knob names are the same as found in BF-2 Boss Flanger. The latter was my pedal 20 years ago, which I loved. However, any similarity ends up now. It was very hard to get any Chorus or Phaser-like sound from the UF-100, specially because the MANUAL and DEPTH knobs are useless. The 2-mode Switch doesn't help to get this thing easier to set up. Just adds more confusion. About the manual... One page doesn't say anything. Useless! // 5

Sound: This pedal has a serious sound problem: when using the MANUAL and specially the DEPTH knob, the oscilator flanges its own hiss and transforms it into saturation that distorts the tone on every pick. The distorted sound is fuzzy. I checked it out with both power supply and battery, and it seems to be a fault in the project itself, since some other reviewers noted and/or complained about the same thing. Those siren-like weird sounds are something exotic, and funny, but just as curious note. No practical use. Definitely, if you want a good Chorus, Flanger or Phaser, go away from these Behringer digital cheapos. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I didn't keep the flanger for long, but I can say it could last. I have an Ultra Distortion, which I bought used, with some minor scratches due to the old owner's abuses. It doesn't have any cracks, though. The Behringer pedals seem to be more resistant than they look like. There is a guy in You Tube that made an "abuse test" with a Behringer and it passed all the spanking and dropping. So I think this is one thing positive regarding Behringer stomp boxes. // 8

Overall Impression: I had stopped playing guitar 20 years ago, since I had to sell my whole equipment, due to an economy plan that left me BROKE. The gear included a very good Brazilian made Les Paul guitar, Boss DF-2 and BF-2 and DigiTech PDS 2000. During that time I only played acoustic guitar and sometimes some friend's electric guitar. Now I decided to resume my "career", playing for fun and beer. In despite of this huge gap, I have trained ears, and I can still say if an effect is good quality or not. I tested UF-100 carefully, and it didn't pass. I returned that thing, gave a bit more and happily got a Onerr Hydrogen Flanger as a replace, an analog pedal, which sometimes reminds me of my dear BF-2. UF-100 is a complete failure. I bought it because I have an UD-100 Ultra Distortion, which is very decent. So I wanted to complete my setup with a matching pedal and I thought they would be kind of a perfect couple. My advice for the young: The Behringer drives and distortions are good things to begin with, and you can keep them, but run away from the modulation pedals. If you don't want frustration, spend a little more on good quality effects. // 4

Comments