UM100 Ultra Metal review by Behringer

Behringer: UM100 Ultra Metal

Purchased from: Hickory Wind

It sounds good generally. I use a Greg Bennet guitar with Duncan designed pickups and a Kustom Quad DFX 65. The distortion is quite thick and pinch harmonics come through loud and ballsy (when the eqs are set properly). The highs are quite overabundant so this harms lead tone and pinch harmonics. This of course can easily be corrected by turning down the treble to the 0-2 area (resulting in the good sounding distortion that I described). I'm not really interested in having a sound exactly like some particular guitar hero of mine. I just wanted a good sound for anything from hard-edged rock to the most metallic metal. The pedal delivers all the gain and eq control I need for chugging rhythms and searing riffs and leads.

I play mostly a mixture of youth worship, blues, and rock, but delve very much into metal like, Iron Maiden, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, and Shadows Fall as well. I use my amp for the softer stuff and this pedal for all the heavy stuff. It works quite well indeed. I've been playing for slightly more than two years and my musical tastes have broadened. My guitar and amp couldn't handle the heavy stuff I'd started to like so this pedal was in order. I honestly could have bought better, but it's enought to satiate me for quite a while. Since it's so inexpensive I would replace it with another.

I wouldn't bank on durability and reliability. It's made outta plastic for cryin' out loud! I even got a lemon that doesn't work on the side I plug the guitar into. It is inexpensive and easily replaceable though. Shoot! I'll buy another one or cop out and use the warranty! In terms of playing gigs I'm gentle with my gear so it should hold up fine.

It's quite simple to use really. It's easy to get the sound you want out of it. Just increase or decrease what sounds necessary. The six knobs (dist, high, low, mid, mid freq., and level) pretty much describe themselves. The main beef I had was with the wonderful "manual" it came with. I figured things out pretty well though.

BRad243
    ive got the pdeal had some trouble with it for awhile but settled it out good beginner and pro pedals thou loads of choices to :-p