UM300 Ultra Metal review by Behringer

Behringer: UM300 Ultra Metal

The UM300 can go from a subtle overdrive or a fuzz to a screaming high output monster. The UM300 has basically the same sound as a Boss Metal Zone. It has a very compressed sound with added bite, which gives you that sharp focused attack. The UM300 does have that hum when the distortion is up fairly high but in my experience that comes with all metal pedals. This pedal holds together no matter what the setting, you can have the dist down low or up high and it always has a nice character. I use the UM300 with my guitar which is fitted with DiMarzio Breeds and the tonal possibilites are amazing, it's a perfect combination for heavy rock. I play Blink 182, Off Spring, Green Day and similar artists, and this pedal can deliver the tones that these artists produce, and with the controls in an instant I can be playing something like Metallica through this pedal.

Personally I'm very happy with this pedal, the range on tones possible are great. It really doesn't matter what genre of music you play, this pedal can do any genre as long as you have the right settings. If this pedal were stolen I would Definately go buy a new one or get the old one back. I have compared this pedal to a Boss Metal Zone and the 2 pedals are very similar you can't really find any differences in tone between the 2. There really isn't anything to hate about this pedal it's simple, straight forward to use and has a wide range of tones. One of my personal favourites.

The pedal is made of ABS plastic whichy is roughly 4mm thick. I am a bit cautious when stepping on the pedal it can stand up to most things, but just to be safe I take that extra bit of caution. This pedal goes through about a 9 volt every Month or so, depends on use but a cheap 9 volt will last on minimum 3 weeks of continuous use. I wouldn't bring a backup, the UM300 can handle itself at gigs.

Its a fairly straight forward pedal, if you've ever used a Metal Zone or similar this one isn't much different. The UM300 has 6 controls (level, distortion, high, low, middle, and middle frequency). The UM300 can go from a subtle Overdrive to a screaming heavy metal pedal. The high, low, middle and middle frequency controls really allow the user to find their perfect setting. The manual isn't that great, but you don't really have to read it to get the hang of the pedal.

Donkey Fly
    Dobzilla
    Donkey Fly wrote: Yes it has a very similar sound to the Boss MT-2 but it's noisy as ****, plastic and isn't gig worthy.
    Agreed, behringher aren't exactly known for their stability... lol. Checked.
    DaysofGrace
    Well, I've been using this pedal for a bout 6 months now (there was a sale at the music store and I got it for $15). Anyway, it's nice, but It doesn't keep a consistant sound. I mean, it serves my purposes because I don't really care if it's exact or not, but for someone who's a far-advanced player... No good.
    Sengir
    Metal Zone is better than UM300? No f*cking way. Both sound nearly the same, the Behringer is cheaper and has more distortion.
    K!d_MeTaL
    reddeltasev wrote: If you have problems with feedback you just have poor control of you instrument. Feedback between songs? Volume knob. During a song? Step back away from your amp. Another solution is to use larger strings. I have a friend with Dimarzio evolutions in his guitar, and he is using 13-56 strings. Evolutions are DESIGNED to feedback, and he doesn't have a problem, even when running a distortion pedal into the dirty channel of his amp, loud. If you know what you are doing, don't complain about feedback.
    very true my man
    reddeltasev
    mannerohardy
    im using um300 its not bad pedal xD still good for the beginner or amatuer and its a cheaper
    connor56993
    I have noticed a SLIGHT problem. The feedback when played loud cant be stiopped by simply turning the guitar down as usual.
    JcL0289
    yeah so i just got this the other day, and i am new to using pedals, so i have a hard time tuning it to get the sound i want. i play stuff like nirvana, 10 years, shine down. is this even the right pedal?
    MetalicBlack86
    I'm Using A UM 300....it suits me just fine.....But then again i'd rather not compare it to MT-2 by Boss....Takes a whole new level for that
    lexaah
    Shredy_Mc_shred wrote: rather get a boss metalzone than this
    maybe if you have the money for it. i bought it cus my amp wouldnt give me the distortion i wanted and i didnt feel like shelving out about 90-100 for an effect that i can get for 25, yes its noisy and its plastic but its not like imma use it for gigging.
    spug2guitarist wrote: wats the difference between the behringer um100 and the um300?? can someone pls tell me?
    The UM300 is like an updated version of the UM100. The UM100 sounds like a boss Heavy Metal, and the UM300 sounds like a metal zone, so slightly different tones.
    _3Lm0_
    If you don't have much money, this is more possible than a metalzone. I have been considering it but I haven't tried it yet.
    Ok guys some points: 1.Yes it can be a bit noisy i think more noisy than a metal zone. 2. I have done an AB with this and a metal zone and the sound is VERY similar. 3. Yeah the pastic is S*** 4. its not really that pink as it is in that photo its much darker its actually a Redish colour. 5. On high distortion the feedabck is really bad but used on lower settings it sounds pretty good. 6.It does have some depth, right now its on a heavy metal setting and by no means is it thin. This is just one guys opinion im not trying to convince anyone to by this pedal im just giving it my thoughts.
    the boogieman
    MrDURPEEDURP wrote: i could get this for a few reasons. 1)i have a noise suppressor pedal to kill feedback =] 2)im considering a distortion pedal anyway just because i want one to drive my Randall even more 3)because that sexy pink color matches my Alexi-600 SE
    its not advisable to use this pedal(of all pedals..-_- to boost your randall
    MrDURPEEDURP