UM300 Ultra Metal review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Behringer: UM300 Ultra Metal

Purchased from: Nite Light Music Store

I know what you're wondering. "Is it as good as the Boss Metal Zone?" I run tis pink devil through an Epiphone LP 100 with a Raven RG20 amp. Like any other pedal there is some noise. It depends on your setup I guess. I got it the give me minimal noise, even using it with a Yamaha EG112C. I play anything from Punk (NOFX, Rise Against, A Wihelm Scream, Strung Out, Lagwagon, etc.) to more metal kinda stuff (As Blood Runs Black, As I Lay Dying, Black Dahlia Murder, and anything that needs that edge) You're gonna think I'm shitting you, but you know what? It does the job. I swear to Bob! And I managed to get my own sound out of this thing. I've actually played it next to a Metal Zone for comparison. You know what? On this pedal's behalf, it's pretty damn similar.

It definitely suits all the stuff I play. I've been playing for three years and really study gear, electronics and all that fancy stuff when it comes to guitars or any other electrical instrument. If it were stolen or lost and I had money I'd buy a different more durable pedal, but I'm poor so I might as well buy it again. (Eat it.) I'm actually impressed that the sound is up there with the Metal Zone. And yeah, there's buzz, but if you know how to deal with pedals you'll figure something out. And it's not like the Metal Zone doesn't give you any noise. If anything I just wish this pedal came in a metal chassis like the Boss pedal.

You know what? I actually use this at band practice and shows and I'm pretty careless with this thing. It's friggin' plastic, so it doesn't stand a chance against accidents like the Boss Metal Zone does. But I mean, it's not like "OMG! I wanna wail on this pedal and treat it like crap!" So I'm not really worried. But you know... I'm planning to Switch over to a more durable pedal that I can get the same sound out of. Maybe the Metal Zone? Haha. Anywho! You can gig with it, but if you're crazy it'll be annihilated.

It may take some time to get the sound you want. It's pretty responsive for a $30 pedal. It's up there with the Boss Metal Zone, I guess. But of course you flamers are gonna hate on me for saying that. The manual does tell you what every knob does for you n00bz out there. (It's okay to be a n00b!) If you really understand in depth about how pedals work, you can definitely get a solid metal, fuzz, punk, alternative, etc. kinda sound out of it.