UM300 Ultra Metal review by Behringer

Behringer: UM300 Ultra Metal

I use an Epiphone SG Special with stock picks and a Raven RG20. The pedal has hum, especially on high gain settings. A noise reducer and a lower volume and/or gain on the pedal take care of it, though. But the distortion is very nice. You can get anything from a soft Drive to a crushing distortion. The mid and mid freq knobs also let you get a nice, heavy metal scoop, too.

As a metal artist, I liked this. I've played for about 2 1/2 years. When I play with this, I plug it through my Zoom G1X and turn the noise reduction on, and it helps with the noise a lot. If I lost it, I'm not sure it I'd buy it again, though, since I have some better pedals I recently got. I love the tone and the mid frequency selection, but the noise really is annoying. If you have a noise reducer or something, you should be fine.

This pedal has held up to me. I don't use it on stage or anything, but I still haven't broken it yet. However, if I used this on stage, I probably would make sure I have a backup. It seems a little fragile, since it has a plastic body. It should hold up if you don't stomp down hard on it, though.

This pedal is generally an easy to use pedal. This was my first pedal with a mid frequency knob, and learning how to use it was not at all hard. The manual was okay; there's not even that much you can get into, since the knobs are just the basics. The most difficult part is the mid freq knob, and it only takes a few minutes of experimentation to understand it, since it's as simple as setting the mid freq knob to whatever frequency you think you would be better off without.