UM300 Ultra Metal review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Behringer: UM300 Ultra Metal

Purchased from: Gerrero Music

I used this pedal as a beginning player, and it was first used with an Indiana Strat clone and an XL 10 watt amplifier (not the best equipment). Later, it was used with an Ibanez GRX20 (an improvement from the Indiana) and an incredible 1973 Gibson Invader given to me by my grandfather. I then began to use it with the same Ibanez and a Behringer GMX210 (I didn't want to subject a Vintage amp like my Invader to gigs). As far as general sound goes, this is not the best pedal. It is very noisy and the gain sounds a lot like the gain from an early Crate solid state amp (basically, like crap). Although the 4 band EQ offered some very interesting tonal possibilities, the horrible quality of the distortion completely screwed all chances of achieving a good tone, but I'm sure there are worse examples out there.

I took lessons from the music store in which I bought this product, and they carried budget instruments, effects, amps, etc. When I first bought it, I was amazed. This was the only thing I'd ever heard that would bring me closer to the sound I'd been hearing in my head all along. I started playing at the age of 4, and was only 12 when I bought this pedal. Even after buying more expensive and better pedals, I held onto this one as a backup until about 2 years ago (when I gave it to a friend who needed a pedal). I do still wish I had the original for sentimental value, but I'm not about to buy another any time soon. However, it's not all bad of course. If I could somehow combine my Boss SD-1 Overdrive's tone with the 4 band EQ, I'd be one very happy camper. Gerrero Music only carried Behringer pedals at the time, so I really had nothing to test it against. I bought it because it was the only thing that was available to me. If you're a beginner on a very small budget, this pedal is a nice way to add a bit of gain to your amp, at least until you can buy something better.

Behringer has never been known for durability and quality. Even though I babied this pedal in the same way that I baby all of my equipment to this day, it slowly began to show signs of wear and tear. Most notably, the rubber pad on the bottom fell off within the first few months. I also began to notice that I was spending a lot of money on batteries. This pedal was certainly a bit power hungry. Although it was all I could afford at the age of 12, I was taking a big risk by using it without a backup of some kind. Overall, the quality and durability was very bad.

This unit is very easy to use. It has 6 controls: Distortion, Volume, High, Low, Mid, and Mid Frequency. This pedal has nearly endless combinations of those 6 controls and offers very intimate tweaking. Even people entirely new to music could use this pedal and would quickly learn the functions of an EQ.