UM300 Ultra Metal Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 03/02/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: UM300 Ultra Metal
The UM300 effects pedal gives you the most extreme and sought-after hard rock or heavy metal sounds with super-thick, tube-like distortion plus endless sustain.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.8
 9,744
reviews (6) pictures (2) 31 comments vote for this gear:
UM300 Ultra Metal Reviewed by: lithium17z, on march 02, 2012

Purchased from: Online

Ease of Use: It's very easy to get a great sound. It has six knob's which has the controls on high, Low & two Mid Frequency, and has a distortion & level knob which controls almost everything to get a Ultra Metal Sound. It has a two way power plan You can use 9V Battery or a 9v DC Adapter. UM300 comes with multi-language manual. // 9

Sound: I'm using Jackson JS22R guitar and Laney amp, nope, but it creates a little humming noise in high humidity. Unless your battery or adapter voltage output is low they always sound great. Yep, eg - BFMV, A7X. They're great, Because the only Made for single effect On Single Pedal else. We can see in other digital effect pedals that it has multi-effects but Cheap in cost. Actually they use some sort of digital IC chips which performs multi effect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes. I can depend on it. Because it has no buttons which we can see on digital effect pedal which is riskier then analog pedals. Sure! But accident might happen so i'll have to keep the exact same pedal for backup. Since I've been using it for years it didn't shown any trouble as far as it's concern about durability. // 9

Overall Impression: Metal, Hard rock, Heavy Metal. I've been using It in past couple of years. I own five other Behringer effects. Nope, I like the way it is. I guess I have to buy it again. I love it because it gives a great sound, and my favorite feature is the frequency control. // 9

UM300 Ultra Metal Reviewed by: 239, on october 04, 2007

Ease of Use: Its a fairly straight forward pedal, if you've ever used a Metal Zone or similar this one isn't much different. The UM300 has 6 controls (level, distortion, high, low, middle, and middle frequency). The UM300 can go from a subtle Overdrive to a screaming heavy metal pedal. The high, low, middle and middle frequency controls really allow the user to find their perfect setting. The manual isn't that great, but you don't really have to read it to get the hang of the pedal. // 8

Sound: The UM300 can go from a subtle overdrive or a fuzz to a screaming high output monster. The UM300 has basically the same sound as a Boss Metal Zone. It has a very compressed sound with added bite, which gives you that sharp focused attack. The UM300 does have that hum when the distortion is up fairly high but in my experience that comes with all metal pedals. This pedal holds together no matter what the setting, you can have the dist down low or up high and it always has a nice character. I use the UM300 with my guitar which is fitted with DiMarzio Breeds and the tonal possibilites are amazing, it's a perfect combination for heavy rock. I play Blink 182, Off Spring, Green Day and similar artists, and this pedal can deliver the tones that these artists produce, and with the controls in an instant I can be playing something like Metallica through this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is made of ABS plastic whichy is roughly 4mm thick. I am a bit cautious when stepping on the pedal it can stand up to most things, but just to be safe I take that extra bit of caution. This pedal goes through about a 9 volt every Month or so, depends on use but a cheap 9 volt will last on minimum 3 weeks of continuous use. I wouldn't bring a backup, the UM300 can handle itself at gigs. // 8

Overall Impression: Personally I'm very happy with this pedal, the range on tones possible are great. It really doesn't matter what genre of music you play, this pedal can do any genre as long as you have the right settings. If this pedal were stolen I would Definately go buy a new one or get the old one back. I have compared this pedal to a Boss Metal Zone and the 2 pedals are very similar you can't really find any differences in tone between the 2. There really isn't anything to hate about this pedal it's simple, straight forward to use and has a wide range of tones. One of my personal favourites. // 9

UM300 Ultra Metal Reviewed by: Emmanuel200, on august 10, 2010

Purchased from: Nite Light Music Store

Ease of Use: It may take some time to get the sound you want. It's pretty responsive for a $30 pedal. It's up there with the Boss Metal Zone, I guess. But of course you flamers are gonna hate on me for saying that. The manual does tell you what every knob does for you n00bz out there. (It's okay to be a n00b!) If you really understand in depth about how pedals work, you can definitely get a solid metal, fuzz, punk, alternative, etc. kinda sound out of it. // 7

Sound: I know what you're wondering. "Is it as good as the Boss Metal Zone?" I run tis pink devil through an Epiphone LP 100 with a Raven RG20 amp. Like any other pedal there is some noise. It depends on your setup I guess. I got it the give me minimal noise, even using it with a Yamaha EG112C. I play anything from Punk (NOFX, Rise Against, A Wihelm Scream, Strung Out, Lagwagon, etc.) to more metal kinda stuff (As Blood Runs Black, As I Lay Dying, Black Dahlia Murder, and anything that needs that edge) You're gonna think I'm shitting you, but you know what? It does the job. I swear to Bob! And I managed to get my own sound out of this thing. I've actually played it next to a Metal Zone for comparison. You know what? On this pedal's behalf, it's pretty damn similar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You know what? I actually use this at band practice and shows and I'm pretty careless with this thing. It's friggin' plastic, so it doesn't stand a chance against accidents like the Boss Metal Zone does. But I mean, it's not like "OMG! I wanna wail on this pedal and treat it like crap!" So I'm not really worried. But you know... I'm planning to Switch over to a more durable pedal that I can get the same sound out of. Maybe the Metal Zone? Haha. Anywho! You can gig with it, but if you're crazy it'll be annihilated. // 5

Overall Impression: It definitely suits all the stuff I play. I've been playing for three years and really study gear, electronics and all that fancy stuff when it comes to guitars or any other electrical instrument. If it were stolen or lost and I had money I'd buy a different more durable pedal, but I'm poor so I might as well buy it again. (Eat it.) I'm actually impressed that the sound is up there with the Metal Zone. And yeah, there's buzz, but if you know how to deal with pedals you'll figure something out. And it's not like the Metal Zone doesn't give you any noise. If anything I just wish this pedal came in a metal chassis like the Boss pedal. // 6

UM300 Ultra Metal Reviewed by: Japanesekanji, on august 11, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is generally an easy to use pedal. This was my first pedal with a mid frequency knob, and learning how to use it was not at all hard. The manual was okay; there's not even that much you can get into, since the knobs are just the basics. The most difficult part is the mid freq knob, and it only takes a few minutes of experimentation to understand it, since it's as simple as setting the mid freq knob to whatever frequency you think you would be better off without. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone SG Special with stock picks and a Raven RG20. The pedal has hum, especially on high gain settings. A noise reducer and a lower volume and/or gain on the pedal take care of it, though. But the distortion is very nice. You can get anything from a soft Drive to a crushing distortion. The mid and mid freq knobs also let you get a nice, heavy metal scoop, too. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal has held up to me. I don't use it on stage or anything, but I still haven't broken it yet. However, if I used this on stage, I probably would make sure I have a backup. It seems a little fragile, since it has a plastic body. It should hold up if you don't stomp down hard on it, though. // 7

Overall Impression: As a metal artist, I liked this. I've played for about 2 1/2 years. When I play with this, I plug it through my Zoom G1X and turn the noise reduction on, and it helps with the noise a lot. If I lost it, I'm not sure it I'd buy it again, though, since I have some better pedals I recently got. I love the tone and the mid frequency selection, but the noise really is annoying. If you have a noise reducer or something, you should be fine. // 7

UM300 Ultra Metal Reviewed by: parra119, on october 06, 2010

Price paid: A$ 50

Purchased from: Bavas Music City

Ease of Use: This pedal has 6 adjustable settings. In the manual given with the pedal it gives a brief outline of how each setting changes the sound. It would be more helpful if it had more information but with a bit of use it is very easy to change and hear the difference in soud when changing the setings. // 8

Sound: This pedal produces a great distortion tone. With tweaking of the settings you can hav different vareties of distortion suiting all kinds of metal and rock. The only probllem is that the pedal buzzes a bit which can get annoying while having it on but you can barely hear it when you start playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is made of plastic but the plastic is very hard to bvreak and no scratches or dents have appeared on the unit yet. This pedal has lasted since I bought it with no problems of breaking. I believe it would hold up live as long as you don't go stomping wildly on it and mistreating it on the road. This pedal. // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal is great. The sound it produces is top quality. Behringer does take shortcuts in production but it is very hard to notice. I would recomend it to all my friends and I would definiately buy another Behringer pedal based on this one and I would definately encourage people to get the full set. // 8

UM300 Ultra Metal Reviewed by: JL_Shredder, on october 06, 2011

Purchased from: Gerrero Music

Ease of Use: This unit is very easy to use. It has 6 controls: Distortion, Volume, High, Low, Mid, and Mid Frequency. This pedal has nearly endless combinations of those 6 controls and offers very intimate tweaking. Even people entirely new to music could use this pedal and would quickly learn the functions of an EQ. // 8

Sound: I used this pedal as a beginning player, and it was first used with an Indiana Strat clone and an XL 10 watt amplifier (not the best equipment). Later, it was used with an Ibanez GRX20 (an improvement from the Indiana) and an incredible 1973 Gibson Invader given to me by my grandfather. I then began to use it with the same Ibanez and a Behringer GMX210 (I didn't want to subject a Vintage amp like my Invader to gigs). As far as general sound goes, this is not the best pedal. It is very noisy and the gain sounds a lot like the gain from an early Crate solid state amp (basically, like crap). Although the 4 band EQ offered some very interesting tonal possibilities, the horrible quality of the distortion completely screwed all chances of achieving a good tone, but I'm sure there are worse examples out there. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Behringer has never been known for durability and quality. Even though I babied this pedal in the same way that I baby all of my equipment to this day, it slowly began to show signs of wear and tear. Most notably, the rubber pad on the bottom fell off within the first few months. I also began to notice that I was spending a lot of money on batteries. This pedal was certainly a bit power hungry. Although it was all I could afford at the age of 12, I was taking a big risk by using it without a backup of some kind. Overall, the quality and durability was very bad. // 4

Overall Impression: I took lessons from the music store in which I bought this product, and they carried budget instruments, effects, amps, etc. When I first bought it, I was amazed. This was the only thing I'd ever heard that would bring me closer to the sound I'd been hearing in my head all along. I started playing at the age of 4, and was only 12 when I bought this pedal. Even after buying more expensive and better pedals, I held onto this one as a backup until about 2 years ago (when I gave it to a friend who needed a pedal). I do still wish I had the original for sentimental value, but I'm not about to buy another any time soon. However, it's not all bad of course. If I could somehow combine my Boss SD-1 Overdrive's tone with the 4 band EQ, I'd be one very happy camper. Gerrero Music only carried Behringer pedals at the time, so I really had nothing to test it against. I bought it because it was the only thing that was available to me. If you're a beginner on a very small budget, this pedal is a nice way to add a bit of gain to your amp, at least until you can buy something better. // 6

Comments