UO100 Ultra Octaver review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Behringer: UO100 Ultra Octaver

Purchased from: Gak.com

I've used this with a Fender Mexican Telecaster (brand new might I add) and a Marshall Valvestate 2000 (which is on it's way out I swear). I've also tried it with a Wesley Jazz bass and Marshall BassState B65 to test the lower end of the effects. On bass on full wack the UO100 can produce some very bassy tones to add umph to any sound except I was quite disappointed to find it did not lower the notes to anything more than half an octave. On any fret. It should not be sold as an Octaver but as a half-Octaver. When used with the guitar, the sound kept cutting out, particularly on the lower 'octave' setting. Overrall very disappointed with the sound.

I bought it for the sound and that was it's real letdown. I guess you get what you pay for. I'm actually gonna send it back because I want my 15 quid to go towards a better pedal. So if it was nicked, I'd have the money please. Despite the disappointment of this pedal, I have ordered a Behringer Fuzz pedal also, in the hopes that it does any better. If not then it's also going back, PSA included. I will review the Fuzz when it comes.

It's made of plastic that looks like it would not survive more than a few gigs, that is providing you're a massive metal guy with newrocks. I'm a girl so I figured it would be worth getting since I don't gig a lot and I'm not heavy-footed. It has the option to use a PSA adapter but these are Behringer special and you have to buy this seperatley, which I have done. The battery changing function is very difficult to master, it requires 2 ball point pens and three hands, so not very practical at all.

Okay, the Behringer Ultra Octaver is a cheap pedal I bought in the hopes that I would get something decent for a small amount of cash, being a student with a tight father and all. If you don't know what an Octaver is, it produces two extra notes besides your guitar's original tone, one an octave lower than the note and one and octave higher and plays them at the same time. It's pretty straightforawrd to use, it comes with a very small manual (more like one side of an A5 piece of paper) that breifly explains what each knob does. There is a Switch that supposedly lets you choose the frequency range that you are playing in (which makes this pedal useable on both guitar and bass) and three knobs; Direct; Oct 1 and Oct 2. Direct controls the main volume of the effect, Oct1 controls the volume of the lower octave and Oct 2 controls the higher.

mikeofthechimps
    sounds pretty unstable from what you've said. The Boss-OC3 produces a much more stable octave effect and the instructions give you good advice on how to achieve the most stable octaving.
    hhr
    actually, the three tones this pedal produces is: the original note from your guitar, 1 octave lower, and two octaves lower. Great pedal for the price though.
    MT in Austin
    I have one and though limited in musical scope (all octavers are), it has been very sturdy and dependable. It's held up better than EVERY Digitech pedal I've owned. Tracks well on single notes but it chokes on chords. Once again, most octavers choke on chords. For $30, it is cheap enough if you just want to experiment to see if an octaver is something you want to add to your sound.