UO100 Ultra Octaver Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 04/25/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: UO100 Ultra Octaver
Create monster sound by adding two additional tones using your guitar's one and two octaves below the original tone. There are dedicated volume controls for all three tones for effective sound shaping, and a flexible 3-mode Range switch allows ultimate bass performance.
 Ease of Use: 7.3
 6.2
 6.4
 5.9
 5,810
reviews (3) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
UO100 Ultra Octaver Reviewed by: Sairy Fairy, on march 23, 2007

Purchased from: Gak.com

Ease of Use: Okay, the Behringer Ultra Octaver is a cheap pedal I bought in the hopes that I would get something decent for a small amount of cash, being a student with a tight father and all. If you don't know what an Octaver is, it produces two extra notes besides your guitar's original tone, one an octave lower than the note and one and octave higher and plays them at the same time. It's pretty straightforawrd to use, it comes with a very small manual (more like one side of an A5 piece of paper) that breifly explains what each knob does. There is a Switch that supposedly lets you choose the frequency range that you are playing in (which makes this pedal useable on both guitar and bass) and three knobs; Direct; Oct 1 and Oct 2. Direct controls the main volume of the effect, Oct1 controls the volume of the lower octave and Oct 2 controls the higher. // 7

Sound: I've used this with a Fender Mexican Telecaster (brand new might I add) and a Marshall Valvestate 2000 (which is on it's way out I swear). I've also tried it with a Wesley Jazz bass and Marshall BassState B65 to test the lower end of the effects. On bass on full wack the UO100 can produce some very bassy tones to add umph to any sound except I was quite disappointed to find it did not lower the notes to anything more than half an octave. On any fret. It should not be sold as an Octaver but as a half-Octaver. When used with the guitar, the sound kept cutting out, particularly on the lower 'octave' setting. Overrall very disappointed with the sound. // 2

Reliability & Durability: It's made of plastic that looks like it would not survive more than a few gigs, that is providing you're a massive metal guy with newrocks. I'm a girl so I figured it would be worth getting since I don't gig a lot and I'm not heavy-footed. It has the option to use a PSA adapter but these are Behringer special and you have to buy this seperatley, which I have done. The battery changing function is very difficult to master, it requires 2 ball point pens and three hands, so not very practical at all. // 4

Overall Impression: I bought it for the sound and that was it's real letdown. I guess you get what you pay for. I'm actually gonna send it back because I want my 15 quid to go towards a better pedal. So if it was nicked, I'd have the money please. Despite the disappointment of this pedal, I have ordered a Behringer Fuzz pedal also, in the hopes that it does any better. If not then it's also going back, PSA included. I will review the Fuzz when it comes. // 3

UO100 Ultra Octaver Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 09, 2008

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal a couple years ago when I first started playing guitar. It's a decent pedal for the price, but a little unstable at times. It came with a manual but the pedal is fairly straight forward. This pedal will produce two notes in addition to the original note: 1 octave lower and 2 octaves lower. // 8

Sound: I used this pedal with a few different Ibanez models and a Peavey Windsor. The pedal cuts out sometimes, especially when reproducing the 2 octaves down note for long periods of time. For the most part, I just blended the 3 notes to get a fatter sound..this worked for the most part and it made the sound breakup harder to hear. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I used this pedal a few times on gigs without a backup. However, since it is made out of plastic is reliability and durability may come into question for some people. I kept mine in my pedal board case so it suffered very little abuse. Overall, I would call this pedal reliable... I mean unless you are going to be jumping up and down on it you shouldn't break it! // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and overall I would say that I liked this pedal. I've been playing for a few years now and have owned a few different guitars and amps. The only thing that I would have to complain about would be the breakup in the 2nd octave range. I've tried it on many different guitars and amps so I know it's the pedal and not my other gear. If it were lost or stolen, I would consider buying another one, though I don't really use this pedal a ton. // 10

UO100 Ultra Octaver Reviewed by: 3OddOnes, on april 25, 2011

Purchased from: thomann.de

Ease of Use: Too start off, the UO100 is a decent ocataver, not a brilliant one, but not an awful one either. Just like other Behringer single effect pedals, it is simple to use and changes in the settings are easily noticable. However, when Behringer were writing the manual, they were quite lazy, things weren't made obvious and it took me find the english manual underneath the chinese and japenese manuals and everything else they put in the box. // 7

Sound: I use it with a Fender Strat and a Laney LX12 amp and it gets some pretty good sounds out of it,as long as you play on the lower strings and the sound doesn't decide to cut out. It gives me the sound I was looking for, but it doesn't give me it in the way I was looking for it. Put it this way, if I were looking for an octaver that cut out every 20 minutes or so, I would have made my own. Still, it gives out a nice sound none the less. // 4

Reliability & Durability: While it may not be completely reliable soundwise, it certainly won't break on you. Though I haven't gigged with it yet, I've already put it through my personal "gig test" which basically means i hit it as hard as I could with my foot and see if it breaks, and it stayed undamaged. that said, still with the sound problems, I wouldn't take it to a gig, just incase it cut out on my big solo. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a big variation, playing A7X one moment to playing Jason Mraz the next, and this is more of a hard rock/metal sort of pedal, but only really fit rythem or deep solos like Nirvana. I've played for two and a half years now, and this is my first pedal, but if it were stolen, I wouldn't really care much honestly, probably just go and make my own instead. I love that it gives me this fuller sound when playing solo but, I hate that you can only get lower octaves of the one you're playing, instead of higher. I've not had it long now but, I never has that new product rush after I first used it. // 6

Comments