UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Behringer: UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter

Purchased from: eBay

I use a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Laney 120watt Combo, and various Boss pedals. The UP100 is really nice Phaser sound but you have to be gental when strumming your guitar or the pedal becomes noisy unfortunatley. It sounds great if you're doing something slow like chord work and you take it easy, it can give a nice clean and well toned sound. The pedal works well with Overdrive (I have the Boss SD-1), or just clean from your amp it sounds fine and general. It's just a case of really experimenting on how you're strumming (to avoid the little crackly noise the pedal causes), what guitar you use, and how you use the pedal towards your other pedals. Using my les paul on the neck pickup with my Boss CS-3 gives it a boost in warm tone, which I like. Distortion may be a great idea or a bad idea. I use a Boss MD-2 which I always have set up on a hard rock type dist sound with tons of gain. I think due to my high gain setting the UP100 doesn't work so well because the distortion is just too much. You can hear the Phaser effect but not too well. My Overdrive works fine with the UP100 though, as already said. Using distortion with the UP100 may depend on what sort of distortion you use. I can get the sound of my favourite artist from this pedal. My fav. artist are Muse. Songs such as the B&H and Showbiz intro's work well with this pedal. Although, the guitarist uses an MXR Phase 90.

I play hard rock, this pedal does a nice but cheap job. If the pedal was stolen/lost I probably wouldn't buy another one. I love the general sound but I hate the crackle you get when you play hard. I choose this pedal because I had little money left over and wanted to try this pedal out as they've only just been produced and wanted to review it as well as use it a little. I also bought this pedal due to wanted a phaser for some time but didn't want a phaser so badly that I wanted to pay a lot so this 16.50 pedal was a bargain. The pedal may not be perfect but it does serve a good purpose if you want to spend little. This pedal is good for the money! In store they're retailed at 20.

This pedal is built very strong and does look reliable indeed. It's solid built but not as solid a a Boss pedal as you may of guessed. I can't exactly tell you how reliable it is because I've only had the UP100 for a couple of weeks. But so far it hasn't let me down.

To get a good sound you will need to sit and tweak the knobs until you find a setting your prefer. I find it quite confusing to use but I'll get use to it, just like anyone would with any other pedal. There is a manual which states which knobs does what so that you know exactly what you're tweaking. The pedal was purchased as standard (not midified).