UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Behringer: UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

I run an Ibanez AX120 with DiMarzio Evolution humbuckers. My pedal chain goes guitar > UP100 Phase Shifter > Boss Metal Zone > DOD 7band EQ > Zoom 1010 > old solid state acoustic bass head (yes it is a weird setup but sounds amazing). Depending on the trim pot settings this pedal can go from super soft and subtle to insane trip out noises.

I have been playing professionally since 1992 and in that time I have played many styles of music from rock to blues to jazz, folk to funk... My main band right now is a thrash/power metal group. The pedal works for many styles including metal. However the sound quality is not near the same as other phase shifters I have owned. It seems that the design was ment to be a clone of a Ibanez PH7 or maybe a Boss PH2 which I owned back in the day... Was hoping the pedal would be a cost effective solution for replacement but it falls short in build quality and sound. Should it ever need replacing I will save up and get a real phase shifter, never will I waist my money on this company's gear again.

It is made of plastic.. That worries me. I have not used the pedal live or on a tour yet. But I am very careful with stomping on it as I fear my foot will smash right through the housing someday.

I had to open the pedal up and adjust the internal trim pots before it sounded usable. Once the trim pots were adjusted it became easy to work. If you have had any experience with modulation fx it is a breeze and like me you wont need a manual.