UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 10/24/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter
UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter features dedicated level, rate, depth and resonance controls for astonishing sound shaping. For absolutely noise-free operation, a first-class electronic on/off switch is integrated.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 2,660
reviews (4) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter Reviewed by: [a]MUSE, on june 05, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: To get a good sound you will need to sit and tweak the knobs until you find a setting your prefer. I find it quite confusing to use but I'll get use to it, just like anyone would with any other pedal. There is a manual which states which knobs does what so that you know exactly what you're tweaking. The pedal was purchased as standard (not midified). // 7

Sound: I use a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Laney 120watt Combo, and various Boss pedals. The UP100 is really nice Phaser sound but you have to be gental when strumming your guitar or the pedal becomes noisy unfortunatley. It sounds great if you're doing something slow like chord work and you take it easy, it can give a nice clean and well toned sound. The pedal works well with Overdrive (I have the Boss SD-1), or just clean from your amp it sounds fine and general. It's just a case of really experimenting on how you're strumming (to avoid the little crackly noise the pedal causes), what guitar you use, and how you use the pedal towards your other pedals. Using my les paul on the neck pickup with my Boss CS-3 gives it a boost in warm tone, which I like. Distortion may be a great idea or a bad idea. I use a Boss MD-2 which I always have set up on a hard rock type dist sound with tons of gain. I think due to my high gain setting the UP100 doesn't work so well because the distortion is just too much. You can hear the Phaser effect but not too well. My Overdrive works fine with the UP100 though, as already said. Using distortion with the UP100 may depend on what sort of distortion you use. I can get the sound of my favourite artist from this pedal. My fav. artist are Muse. Songs such as the B&H and Showbiz intro's work well with this pedal. Although, the guitarist uses an MXR Phase 90. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built very strong and does look reliable indeed. It's solid built but not as solid a a Boss pedal as you may of guessed. I can't exactly tell you how reliable it is because I've only had the UP100 for a couple of weeks. But so far it hasn't let me down. // 8

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, this pedal does a nice but cheap job. If the pedal was stolen/lost I probably wouldn't buy another one. I love the general sound but I hate the crackle you get when you play hard. I choose this pedal because I had little money left over and wanted to try this pedal out as they've only just been produced and wanted to review it as well as use it a little. I also bought this pedal due to wanted a phaser for some time but didn't want a phaser so badly that I wanted to pay a lot so this 16.50 pedal was a bargain. The pedal may not be perfect but it does serve a good purpose if you want to spend little. This pedal is good for the money! In store they're retailed at 20. // 8

UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter Reviewed by: razr_back, on august 21, 2007

Ease of Use: It isn't that hard to get sound out of this, it comes with diretions that tell you what each nob does wen it's turned so you just have to sit there and take the two minutes it takes to fiddle around to find the sound you want. The manual shoes you everything for turning nobs, input and output and the 1st and 2nd mode. I haven't upgraded my UP100. // 10

Sound: I use this with a razorback db and a 34 year old 50 watt peavy amp and occasionaly combine it with my DigiTech Death Metal distortion. It makes that wavy windy nosie in the back ground when you don't play it but it sounds kinda cool. The effects are great until it looses batery power, then it comes out as kind of a clean distortion with no wave and then no ditiortion added wen it's really low. You can get the sound of some pantera songs, a few Slipknot songs fur shure, and some Korn, other bands I don't no about mainly because I haven't heard much of some bands that might use a phaser. The 1st mode of the phaser is alright but I usually only use it to accent a few parts here and there like a Pick slide down the neck witch sounds pretty cool. But my favorite is the second mode because it sounds great with a lot of things and it sounds good with vibratos and things like that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't depend on it cause it's made out of plastic, but the plastic is very thick (I know because I took it apart the first time I had it trying to fit the batery in, it turned out the batery goes under the foot pedal and the instrutions showed you that, but hey it was my first pedal) I wouldn't need a back up pedal but I would bring bateries just in case. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal and some thrash a little nu metaland alittle grove metal. And it fits in just fine although it's not used as much as I thought I would use it. I've played for a few years and I own a razorback db, a 50watt peavy amp a DigiTech Death Metal distortion and some other old guitar from the stone age with junky humbukers. I would have asked if there were any cool settins so I didn't have to take 2 minutes to play wit hit, I was impatient because I just wanted to go play it. I would buy it again but not right away because I have other pedals I want first. I love that it's second mode sounds so cool but I wish it was made out of metal because I break a lot of stuff. I didn't compare this to anything at the time because I didn't have enough money for anything else. I didn't need anything else on it. // 8

UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 12, 2008

Purchased from: zZounds

Ease of Use: This phase shifter pedal from Behringer features two operation modes. These modes are switchable via 2-way Switch on the front of the pedal. Other tone-shaping controls include: Level, Rate, Depth and Resonance. Very easy to get some wild sounds out of this pedal. All of these controls are explained in the manual. // 10

Sound: I've used this pedal with a variety of amps and guitars; a few different Ibanez, LTD-MH103QM, Peavey Windsor, and Crate V18. Never had a problem with this pedal being noisy, even when using it with other effects, including distortion. it's very easy to get classic phaser sounds from this unit. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged many times with this pedal without a backup. Despite it's plastic construction, I would call this pedal reliable and durable. I've had mine for a couple years now and have had no problems with it. Most Behringer pedals are hell on batteries, but I've always used a one spot system. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock and metal, and this pedal fits in well; especially 80's hair metal. I've been playing for a few years now and own a few different guitars and amps. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably buy another one. For the price, you really can't beat it. // 10

UP100 Ultra Phase Shifter Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2011

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: I had to open the pedal up and adjust the internal trim pots before it sounded usable. Once the trim pots were adjusted it became easy to work. If you have had any experience with modulation fx it is a breeze and like me you wont need a manual. // 5

Sound: I run an Ibanez AX120 with DiMarzio Evolution humbuckers. My pedal chain goes guitar > UP100 Phase Shifter > Boss Metal Zone > DOD 7band EQ > Zoom 1010 > old solid state acoustic bass head (yes it is a weird setup but sounds amazing). Depending on the trim pot settings this pedal can go from super soft and subtle to insane trip out noises. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It is made of plastic.. That worries me. I have not used the pedal live or on a tour yet. But I am very careful with stomping on it as I fear my foot will smash right through the housing someday. // 4

Overall Impression: I have been playing professionally since 1992 and in that time I have played many styles of music from rock to blues to jazz, folk to funk... My main band right now is a thrash/power metal group. The pedal works for many styles including metal. However the sound quality is not near the same as other phase shifters I have owned. It seems that the design was ment to be a clone of a Ibanez PH7 or maybe a Boss PH2 which I owned back in the day... Was hoping the pedal would be a cost effective solution for replacement but it falls short in build quality and sound. Should it ever need replacing I will save up and get a real phase shifter, never will I waist my money on this company's gear again. // 4

Comments