US600 Ultra Shifter/Harmonist review by Behringer

Behringer: US600 Ultra Shifter/Harmonist

Purchased from: eBay

Noiseless. No bypass but crystal clear. It's not perfect when pitch shifting, but such a thing is totally impossible and even pedals 10x the price have tracking issues; this has a little difficulty at times but for the most part is awesome. Being able to custom mix the dry feed in gives you access to organ sounds and so on. Pretty fun to play with. Not sure on flutter or detune, but it's largely a Whammy pedal and they're just bolt on afterthoughts. I bought it to play some of Morello's stuff and with a tremolo the into to Demiurgo using the organ sound that can be created using pitch shift.

Far from perfect, but if you want a flexible pitch shifter for next to nothing for home recording or maybe occasional gig use, it's a good deal. I looked at the DigiTech Whammy and the Boss PS-5/6, but the Whammy is very expensive, supposedly not as good as it used to be and doesn't have a lot of flexibility while the PS-5 was discontinued and the replacement PS-6 is missing a lot of features and is far more expensive. If there's one thing I'd like, it's an analogue footpedal like a Wah or the Whammy, but for this price point, it's probably better to keep it simple.

It's plastic, but rock solid. You can see how ridiculously thick the case is when you change the battery. The base is actually fairly thick metal as well. One area of concern, however, is the footswitch. Most of the pedals I've used have a fairly durable Switch mounted off-board with a flying wire so you can replace it if it goes wrong and it doesn't put any stress on the PCB. Behringer have fitted a very standard surface-mount clicky button (metal square with a big plastic circle and four smaller ones) and a lot of sponge. Eh, it hasn't broken, but I don't expect that to last.

For the most part, the pedal's easy to use. Flick to the mode you want, put the pitch where you want and use the footswitch. However, it's not always clear what the dials do in each mode, there's no way of storing presets and the dials appear to be misaligned to the silkscreen meaning you have to listen and count changes; (or look at the LED) Battery is in an awkward place; the hinge is actually a spring pushing two cylinders apart which hold the footswitch on which you remove with "a ballpoint pen" (I used a DS stylus) and then replace trying not to misplace the spring.

robot1000
    Hi, not registered yet but had to add my comments I have over 10 behringer pedals and have owned them for at least over a year and only one has failed me and before you ask I own boss ehx zoom didgitech dod and dunlop 535q pedels and trust me there good I own 20 guitars and two marshall amp, I've been playing for 18 years and I'm always told that my tone is good, I came on to this review site because I'm after a harmonist pedal brian may uses and eventide and the ps_6 is expensive so I thourt I'd look at this one since I can add expression pedal to it like the whammy, well that's my opinion fantastic pedals low prices, so all you snobs can go do one you know nothing.
    imaginary.frnd
    IMHO this thing sounds like crap. I don't see the point in spoiling your tone with something like this. I'm saving both money and my tone by not getting this thing.
    milwaukeerocker
    I've never used this pedal or one like it, all i can say is that, having played guitar for 15+ years and working at a music store for 10+ years, Behringer equipment is not always bad or awful. Their gear is so well priced, and some of it is very useable. People also like to forget that it really comes down to the player using the equipment or the application it's being used for. It's nice to be able to buy more expensive gear, but, if you know what you're doing and genuninely have a good ear for quality tone, you can make due with less expensive equipment. If you're a good musician, u will sound good.
    shecter guy
    i avoid most Behringer pedals. I ordered 3 online one time. 2 were dead on arrival and the third died after about 3 weeks. Not being an elitiist, most the pedals just wont last. The vintage phaser pedal i had from them was actually pretty solid though. Higher end, possibly a good deal. The cheapies like this? No.
    SteveDallman
    Behringer pedals are knockoffs of popular pedals. Most use the same circuitry as the pedals they emulate. I have many Behringer pedals and rackmount effects, and in many cases, I have the products they emulate. I have this pedal, and it does work and sound like the Boss it copies. One pedal I have, the Behringer knockoff of the Line 6 Rotomachine (Leslie simulator) is slightly different, despite the same controls. Switching speeds is done differently and the cabinet simulation is not as drastic as the Line 6 (I have both) but I use them interchangeably. They are both excellent. The Behringer cost a fraction of what I paid for the Line 6. I have examined these pedals. I am an authorized tech for Line 6 and many other companies. I have no problem with Behringer or it's products.
    donjuandre
    Good Lord, does it ever occur to you guys dissing each other that there may not be a 'right' or 'wrong' opinion? Some pedals fail, others don't... Some sound good, others don't... Sometimes you can find a Squier Strat that plays better than a high-end Fender... It's just how it is... no point insulting each other over it...
    donjuandre
    acidoblusergico
    This is a great piece of gear. I was looking for a pitch shifter; because carrying more than two guitars just for alternate tunings really sucks when you have no car. I was not disappointed; very affordable, nice construction and really cool features. I think that Behringer is a really underrated brand when it comes to guitar fx. Have tried the Reverb Machine too, and it's gold.