V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification review by Behringer

Behringer: V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Nahsua, NH

On stage, I use my V-AMP2 with a Gibson Les Paul, a Fender Telecaster, an Ibanez C500 electric/acoustic, a Dean 7-string electric, and an Alvarez Yairi DY75 acoustic with Dean Markley pickup. In studio, I route the V-AMP2 as an effect on the mixing board and have let it process guitars, vocals, and and bass. Take the time to setup your own sounds - the time taken will be well worth it. This unit is marketed to younger "garage-band" style players, so the "hard crunch" is a favorite in the factory preset lineup - with some patience and time, the effects can be tweaked tosound just the way you want and then some - the factory presets are still good, but I like to have a personal touch on anything I am using. The weakest effect on the unit which I can find (and is usual on many of these types of multi-effect pedals) is the "auto-wah" pedal effect. But then again, who wants a processor doing your wah for you? Get a wah pedal and use it with the V-AMP2 and things sound great again.

This unit fits the styles I play most - alternative rock, reggea, soft industrial, blues, and classic rock for electric and acoustic guitars (add "folk" for acoustic). I have been playing for 15 years. My gear inventory is too long to mention here, but I will say that the V-AMP2 now finds its place among my list of "I like it 'cause it does its job" gear. I researched a lot of different multi-fx pedals before picking this up, so I felt I knew exactly what I was getting at purchase. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably Pick it up again. I like the multi-fx sims which really do hold up well, are not noisy, work well in studio and live, and complement the sound of my playing. I do not like the delay when switching between patches (reminds me of the cheaper Zoom pedals) but again, that's something that's going to happen with a price tag of $90 or so. My understanding is that the rack version is a little more heavy-duty and eliminates some of the more questionable areas of the V-AMP2. I do not like the lack of "on/off" switch - again, not a huge deal, just one of those things that make you scratch your head and say "You came this far, and then just stopped. " On the whole, I am pleased, it works well for what I do, and I would definitely recommend it to the guitarist who is a bit strapped for cash or is just getting into using a multi-effect pedal but doesn't want to sink a bunch of money into one in case it doesn't suit them(which was my scenario). I will probably upgrade to the rack-mounted version in the near future, but that's also a preference issue and not a reflection on the unit. Have fun with it!

Here's the tricky bit - Behringer does not have a resounding name for "I stand up to years of abuse and never cease to function" type of equipment. The V-AMP2 is on the cheaper production side - light plastic body, plastic dials, plastic foot-pedal and soft-shell gig bag. This is not a unit that I would put under stressful situations such as being bashed against a wall, thumped about in frustration or buried underneath a speaker cabinet during loadout. The first thing I did was to find a hard-shell case for my V-AMP2, line it with foam and give the thing a soft place to live. I also do not abuse any of my gear, so not suprisingly, I get long life out of almost all my equipment. But still, I have only had it a month, so we shall see how the long run plays out. I do not bring it to gigs without a backup, but that's a principle I play with, not doubt reflected on the unit (I play each gig with at least 3 or 4 guitars - just in case). Sometimes that backup is the amp I am using itself, other times it is single pedals of the sounds I use most - a Tubescreamer, Flanger, Delay, Stereo Chorus and Overdrive.

I have had the V-AMP2 for about a month now, and have used it in many different setups, from project studio to practice to live gigs. I found the V-AMP2 to be quite simple to setup and and work with. The dials are pretty self-explanatory, and the manual is good for further explanation if necessary. The patches themselves did not stay long in their factory preset setup as I tweaked them to my liking - both for acoustic and electric guitars. However, the quality of the effects is quite good and I was very pleased with the sounds and sims the unit produced. The first thing I did before playing was to visit the website and check the latest upgrade (which I had) and to download some patches made by other V-AMP2 users (this can be done with a midi connection to your PC/MAC and was pretty easy to do).