V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification review by Behringer

Behringer: V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification

Purchased from: Uhlik's Music

I'm using this thingie with an LTD VB-400, and run into a Tech21 Power Engine 60. With the active EMGs and the noise gate, it's virtually noiseless, and the tone of it is amazing. I'm blown away by it. I can't honestly comment on the authenticity of the sounds, but I do know they sound good. I don't like to cover other songs since I'm in a rut and trying to write my own stuff, but I know it can. The effects and amp models both sound great. In my opinion, the cab sims suck altogether, although I've had limited experience using it through direct recording or headphones. Effects sound great and are very tweakable.

I play rock and metal. Been playing for a little over a year, and have owned a Marshall MG 30 DFX, a Tech21 Power Engine, a Fender Prodigy, an Epiphone Les Paul Jr, a Galveston Thingie guitar, a Hondo something or other Strat copy, and my current LTD VB-400. It made all of them sound great, 'nuff said. If it were lost or stolen I'd get another one. If it's not lost or stolen I'll get another one. I wish it had a freaking power switch. But it's usefulness far surpasses the annoyance of having to unplug and plug it back in.

I have no clue. I haven't had it long enough. People say the casing is plastic but I've heard from more than one Behringer rep that it's a composite. Lots of people say it's cheap, but I've visited a lot of V-Amp online communities and never seen anything about a broken outer shell. The footswitch is made of metal; it's a tank. I'd use it at a gig, probably with no backup.

It's very easy to get a good sound out of this. There are so many tweakables, in some settings three seperate stages of EQ. Massive flexibility. They have far too few knobs for the amount of features, but they still did a good job making the less obvious tweaks accessable. Editing the settings is rediculously easy. You just punch in your sound and hold the preset button for a few seconds - viola. It's stored and accessable in a second or two via footswitch. There's a tiny little delay from patch to patch, but it's a modeler, not the ultimate stompbox.