V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification review by Behringer

Behringer: V-AMP 2 Virtual Amplification

Purchased from: Music123.com

For recording, I have the guitar direct into the V-AMP2, and then I connect the V-AMP2 directly into a USB hub of a computer via a LightSnake Cable. I have only ever played Live once with the V-AMP2, and it sounded great! I had the V-AMP2 plugged into a Fender Super-50 [the latter set on a loud, clean tone]. It was very clear, with little to no background sound at all. Speaking of unwanted noise, it is rare to find it on the V-AMP2. When plugged directly into the computer, there is enough static discharge to create unwanted buzzing, but since you're recording anyway, noise reduction applications can take care of this. There is rarely any background noise when plugged into an amplifier, but for any that does present itself, the modeler has an adjustable noise gate! The distortion is fairly decent. You can get a wide variety of tones, and they are all editable to even the most minute of standards. The effects are alright; effects pedals would be a little better, but especially for the price, it's palatable.

I play any style of music I can come up with an idea for, so the Behringer V-AMP2 is perfect for my needs. I've been playing for about two years, and I own very little in the way of equipment, but the V-AMP2 takes care of enough jobs in the studio to negate quite a few pedals I would buy anyway. There is nothing I regret about buying this product, and if it were stolen or lost, I would buy either the V-AMP2, or one of the later models. The thing I love most about the V-AMP2 is its compatibility with computer software. It's not too soft, and is easily adjustable without having to worry about screwing around with presets. I don't like that switching tones has the lag time it does; I would rather go from clean to distorted in an instant, you know? The funny thing is that I got this while I was looking for a DigiTech super-dee-duper pedal or whatever, the one that apparently falls apart over time. I was ready to put out 300$ for one of those, but I luckily gave the V-AMP2 a chance, and at a third of the price. This pedal is simply amazing.

I love the V-AMP2, but I will admit that it's just a blob of plastic. This makes it unsuitable for regular performances. At home, however, it is easily concealable for storing purposes, and plugs back in quite easily. I have dropped mine on occasion, and it plays all the better. It is more of a home recording Tool than anything; so no, I would never use this without a backup.

The Behringer V-AMP2 is a really dynamic effects processor/amp modeler, and yet I was very proficient at developing tones within the first week of having it! The manual was a bit confusing (just because there was so much stuff, I suppose). However, the manual included a preset tones list, showing the number correspoding to such legendary tones as those of Stevie Ray Vaugh, David Gilmour, and John Petrucci. The V-AMP2 can't really be upgraded, but then, it hardly needs it.

rewiredll
    With alot of OK and muddy effects and descent sounding ampmodels I think the V-amp is a good when you practise alone. But when it comes to recording or liveplaying Ill definately choose my PODXT over the V-amp everytime.